You don’t have to buy expensive plant-based keto seed crackers at the store – you can make them at home with this easy recipe. And homemade keto crackers are so much better than store-bought. These healthy and tasty nut-free keto crackers are great to enjoy on their own or with cheese, peanut butter, dips, spreads, and charcuterie boards.
Easy Keto Plant-based Recipe
Summer is always the time of year for outdoor gatherings. Whether you are barbecuing Keto Chinese BBQ Chicken with Pickled Vegetables or Keto Pork Satay Skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce, there are always some snacks hanging around until the main meal is done.
Like my plant-based Keto 7-Layer Dip, this easy keto Sausage Apple Cheese Dip or this ever-popular Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip, you will always need something to deliver that delicious dip into your mouth!
So get your bowl and spoon ready and make some of these plant-based keto seed crackers for your next cookout!
Why this Keto Cracker Recipe Works
- Easy - All you need is a bowl, some boiling water, and a lined baking sheet to make this vegan keto snack
- Healthy - Filled with tons of vitamins, these plant-based keto seed crackers do not contain any dairy, nuts, or gluten - Perfect if you don't know your guest's dietary preferences
- Taste - I opted for a salty herb flavour for my keto crackers but feel free to change it up!
- Texture - No floppy crackers here! These are super crunchy with just the right amount of crispiness.
- Fat Content - These homemade keto crackers come in at 77% fat. This allows them to be considered as a fat fast recipe as long as you add a fat fast recipe dip, a little homemade mayo, or drizzle them with olive oil.
Nut-Free Keto Crackers Ingredients
To keep these plant-based and nut-free, I used the following vegan ingredients:
- Seeds - I used a combination of sesame seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, and poppy seeds. Feel free to modify or use different amounts to suit your taste.
- Flaxseed meal - Make sure that you read the recipe card and understand that BOTH flaxseed meal (which is ground-up flax seeds), as well as unground flax seeds, are used in this keto recipe. The flaxseed meal is necessary to bind the ingredients together.
- Oil - The oil not only helps to brown these crackers but also helps to make them nice and crispy.
- Sweetener - Although this ingredient is optional, almost all crackers on the market today contain a hint of sweetness. To mimic this "salty with a hint of sweetness taste", I like to add about 2 teaspoons of Lakanto Classic for a similar taste
See the recipe card for quantities.
Homemade Keto Cracker Instructions
A bowl, spoon, and baking sheet are all that are needed to make this crunchy vegan keto snack!
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Allow the ingredients to sit for 15 minutes.
Spread the mixture on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roll or press the mixture as thin as possible.
Bake the crackers at 325 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown.
Allow the crackers to cool completely before breaking into pieces.
Hint: Check your crackers at the 20-minute mark as the crackers can burn quickly.
Although plain homemade keto crackers are good, there are also many options to make them a bit fancier. Here are a few suggestions:
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or some hot sauce with some smoked paprika for a spicier
- Herbs - Add half a tablespoon of chopped, dried herbs to the seeds. Thyme, oregano, or rosemary would taste amazing in this recipe.
- Cheesy - Although adding cheese will no longer make these a vegan keto snack, adding a quarter-cup of powdered cheese and a pinch of smoked paprika would give these crackers a nice cheesy flavor.
See this Super Easy Parmesan Cracker Crisps recipe for a different cheesy twist.
Storing Plant-based Keto Seed Crackers
Store these crackers in an airtight container at room temperature in the cupboard. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
Believe it or not, you can re-crisp stale crackers by spreading them on a baking tray. Reheat the crackers in a 225°F oven for about ten minutes, turning them halfway through the cooking time. Watch the crackers closely to prevent them from burning.
Yes. You can simply take whole flax seeds and place them in a nut, spice, or coffee grinder until they turn into flour consistency.
Absolutely! Feel free to use any combination of seeds including pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Store ground flaxseed in the fridge or freezer. The oils in ground flaxseed can go rancid. The ground flaxseed meal will not freeze so I like to keep mine in the freezer.
If your crackers turned out too soft, it is most likely because you did not bake them long enough. To crisp up your crackers, place them back in the oven at 225 degrees F. and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
I do not suggest using toasted seeds or nuts for making homemade keto crackers. Nuts and seeds tend to burn easily so if they are already roasted/toasted, the nuts or seeds may burn before the crackers get a chance to get crispy.
Although these crackers only clock in at 77% fat, which is not high enough for a fat fast, by simply slathering on some cream cheese, olive oil, Boursin Cheese, pesto or any other high fat spread or dip, these homemade keto crackers will up close to 90% fat, depending on which condiment you add.
Golden flaxseeds have thin hulls, having undergone less biosynthesis of proanthocyanidins. This means that brown flax seeds have a slightly higher nutritional value than golden flax seeds.
Looking for some delicious keto dips or spreads for these nut-free keto crackers?
Other Homemade Keto Crackers
Here are some of my other recipes for quick and easy keto crackers!
- ½ cup (60 g) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (40 g) flax seeds
- ¼ cup (40 g) chia seeds
- ¼ cup (40 g) poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp flaxseed meal
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Adjust the oven rack to the lowest part of the oven. Line a large-rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the boiling water and oil and stir. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes have passed, press the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Place a second sheet of parchment paper, sprayed with cooking spray, over the crackers and use a rolling pin to spread the crackers as thin as possible.
- Bake for 25 minutes, and then remove the crackers from the oven and using a pizza cutter, cut the crackers into 1 ½ inch squares (32 in total). Bake until crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the crackers to crisp for an additional 1 hour.
- Each serving of keto crackers comes in at 79% fat. Add an additional 1 tablespoon of a fat source (such as pesto or chipotle mayo) to make this a fat fast friendly recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Soaking Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, Whole30, Paleo, Keto
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 27 grams
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 0.2
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 4
Keywords: crackers, healthy, easy, plant-based, vegan, keto, low carb, nut-free, dairy-free, snack