This Keto 7-Layer Dip is not only a plant-based recipe but it is also one of the BEST keto party appetizers! It’s filled with seven layers of delicious low carb ingredients that come together quickly and is perfect for any occasion. This easy keto appetizer is also the perfect vegetarian 7-layer dip recipe!
With the upcoming Super Bowl, Easter, Memorial day as well as the 4th of July, I have officially declared it "Appetizer Season"!
From Prosciutto Shrimp with Hot Pepper Jam and Brie to Keto Pizza Bites Appetizer Recipe as well as these Keto Sausage Balls, if I had it my way, I would eat appetizers instead of dinner every day of the week!
After making learning How to Cook Black Soybeans as well as all their health benefits, I have been making keto black soybeans weekly. Having some leftovers in the fridge, I decided to make a keto 7-layer dip using these low-carb beans.
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen's Ultimate Seven Layer Dip recipe, this easy keto appetizer is perfect for your next gathering!
Why this recipe works
- Texture - by adding cheese to the sour cream, this low-carb 7-layer dip holds together better than other 7-layer dip recipes
- Taste - Adding some taco seasoning to the sour cream adds an extra depth of flavour
- Macros - By using black soybeans instead of commercial refried beans, this easy keto appetizer clocks in at only 2.5 net grams of carbs per ¼ cup serving
- Make-Ahead - you can pretty much make the keto refried beans and the sour cream layer ahead of time and then just assemble whenever you are ready
This easy keto appetizer uses some store-bought ingredients to keep it super easy!
- Keto Refried Beans - Although you can buy canned Black Soybeans, I like to make my own since it is so easy (plus much cheaper!!). I buy my dried black soybeans from Vitacost.
- Sour cream - Use full-fat sour cream and remove any liquid whey that may be floating on the top.
- Cheese - I used cheddar cheese but you can also use pepper jack instead.
- Guacamole - I used store-bought guacamole to save myself some time. However, feel free to use your favourite guacamole recipe instead.
- Salsa - You can make your own Sheet Pan Salsa or use store-bought salsa. Just make sure that you drain the salsa for at least 30 minutes to remove most of the liquid.
- Scallion - The final layer uses 1 large scallion that is sliced.
- Olives - I used a can of sliced black olives since that is what is more traditional but you can easily use green sliced olives instead!
- Taco Seasoning - Package Taco seasoning helps with this easy keto appetizer but you can always make your own homemade taco seasoning blend
See the recipe card for quantities.
This keto 7-Layer Dip recipe is really easy and comes together in under 30 minutes. Do not forget to drain your salsa and press any excess water from the salsa or the dip will become runny after a couple of hours.
Place the salsa in a sieve over a bowl and allow it to drain for 30 minutes. Press lightly, using a spatula, the salsa to remove any additional liquid. Set the salsa to the side.
In the bowl of a food processor, add the sour cream, taco seasoning, and 1 ½ cups of cheese. Process for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Set the bowl to the side.
Add the keto refried beans to the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch pan and spread to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the refried beans.
Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese over the sour cream layer (you should still have ½ cup of cheese for the final layer).
Dollop the guacamole over the top of the cheese and then carefully spread it to cover the cheese layer.
Add the drained salsa, remaining ½ cup of cheese, sliced green onion, and sliced olives over the guacamole layer. ENJOY!
Hint: Dollop the guacamole over the cheese and then use an offset spatula to carefully spread it over the cheese. If you prepare this low carb 7-layer dip recipe ahead of time, make sure that you remove it from the fridge about 1 hour prior to serving.
Looking for a plant-based keto recipe? Here are some substitutions to make this plant-based.
- Keto Refried Beans - instead of using my recipe (which contains bacon!), make plant-based keto refried beans by pulsing cooked black soybeans, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Cheese - use any plant-based cheddar cheese (check out this post for the best brands)
- Sour cream - but plant-based sour cream or use any plant-based plain yogurt instead.
If you are looking for more plant-based keto recipes, check out No-Bake Keto Plant-based Protein Cookies, Easy Plant-Based Keto Zucchini Pie Recipe – Crustless or this easy keto appetizer, Easy Keto Olive Spread
If you are looking for more keto dip recipes, check out the following:
- For a Spicy Dip- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip (Whole30, Paleo, Keto)
- For a Seafood Dip - Delicious Bay Scallop Hot Seafood Dip
- For an Asian Dip - Keto Asian Chicken Dip
As for this keto 7-Layer Dip, feel free to add additional layers or omit layers if you do not have the ingredients! I promise I won't tell!
I used an 8 x 8-inch square glass dish but you can use any 1-quart dish. You can also make this dip into thinner layers by using a large pan.
If you do not have a food processor, use a hand blender to blend the cheese into the sour cream.
How Long Does Keto 7-Layer Dip Last? If kept covered tightly with plastic wrap, 7 Layer Dip can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. However, some liquid will start to form at the bottom of the baking dish. Just drain the liquid and enjoy the dip!
Keep in mind that guacamole can start to turn brown quickly once exposed to oxygen. If you’re prepping this dip ahead of time, the guacamole should be fine as long as it’s covered completely with salsa.
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
Dip can be made up to 2 days in advance, and stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Just keep in mind that guacamole can turn brown when exposed to oxygen.
What are the 7 Layers?
The 7 layers are as follows: black refried soybeans, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, onions, and olives.
Can I omit a layer?
Yes! If you don't like a layer (I am not a huge fan of guacamole!), you can remove a layer or double up on a layer you like!
- 2 ½ cups salsa
- 2 ½ cups keto refried beans
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 16 oz Chunky Guacamole
- ½-1 cup cup sliced black olives
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Place a siever over a bowl and add the salsa. Allow it to drain for about 30 minutes and then press, using a spatula, the salsa to remove additional liquid. Set the salsa to the side.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the sour cream, 1 ½ cup of cheese and taco seasoning. Pulse until smooth.
Assemble the 7-Layer Dip
- Spread bean mixture evenly over bottom of 8-inch square glass baking dish or 1-quart glass bowl.
- Spread sour cream mixture evenly over bean layer
- Sprinkle evenly with 2 cups of cheese (you should have ½ cup of cheese leftover).
- Dollop the guacamole over the cheese and carefully spread the guacamole
- Spread the drained salsa over the guacamole.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese, sliced scallion and sliced black tomatoes. Enjoy!
- See post for substitutions to make this plant-based dip vegan
- To keep dip plant-based, see post for my "cheater" plant-based keto refried bean recipe that only takes a couple of minutes to prepare
- This dip is considered keto as it comes in at 70% fat
- Dip can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let dip stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Snacks, Appetizer
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 2.5
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 9
Keywords: 7 layer dip, easy keto dip, keto, low carb, healthy, plant-based, appetizer