This Easy Plant-Based Keto Zucchini Pie Recipe is a crustless pie recipe that is the perfect recipe to use up all that extra zucchini from your vegetable garden. Simple, yet absolutely delicious, this crustless pie recipe is perfect as a side dish or for brunch or any main meal.
Plant-Based Keto Recipe
Are you on zucchini overload? if so, you have to make this crustless pie recipe which is the most delicious way to enjoy fresh summer produce! With only 10 minutes of prep, you can have a fancy and tasty side dish to serve with an easy asparagus salad or a crunchy Brussel sprout salad for a satisfying plant-based keto meal that will satisfy even the heartiest appetites.
This is a dish that EVERYONE will be asking you for the recipe.
Seriously, you will see everyone coming back for second helpings.
And why wouldn't they?
A wonderfully light and delicious combination of perfectly seasoned zucchini combined with cheese, onions and eggs, this easy keto dinner will even have "zucchini-haters" converted to "zucchini-lovers"!
Why do I love this low carb Zucchini Crustless Pie so much?
- SUPER simple to make
- Can be served at any meal
- It is gluten-free, low in carbs and chock full of healthy zucchini
- It can be made ahead of time and then reheated
- You can keep it plant-based or add some leftover ham, cooked bacon or breakfast sausage for a carnivore twist.
- BECAUSE IT IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!
What ingredients do you need to make this gluten-free zucchini pie?
Zucchini - You can either shred the zucchini or slice it into rounds. You can also use yellow squash or a combination of yellow squash and green zucchini. You can quickly slice your zucchini using a mandolin or use a food processor to shred your zucchini.
Oil - You can use vegetable oil, light olive oil or another neutral oil, such as canola oil or avocado oil, to keep the pie moist.
Eggs - This recipe calls for 4 eggs to give the pie structure. The resulting texture is similar to a quiche.
Cheese - A combination of Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese is used because lets be honest, you can never have too much cheese in a casserole!
Onion - I used green onions (both the white and green parts sliced nice and thin) but you can use any onion you want.
Keto "Bisquick" - A combination of super-fine almond flour (1 cup) whisked with baking powder (1 tsp) makes this low carb copycat Bisquick recipe
Seasoning - I used kosher salt, mustard and Italian spices for this recipe but feel free to use any spice mix that you have on hand.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI PIE
This plant-based keto zucchini pie recipe comes together with about 10 minutes of prep! Serve it as a side dish or as a plant-based keto entree to take advantage of your fresh summer veggies.
Step 1 - Whisk together the almond flour and baking powder to create a keto "Bisquick". Add the oil, eggs, mustard and seasoning.
Step 2- Whisk in the eggs, mustard and seasoning
Step 3 - Stir in the cheese, reserving about ¼ cup from sprinkling on top
Step 4 - Add the zucchini and sliced green onion until all the zucchini has been covered by the keto Bisquick mixture.
Step 5 -Pour the zucchini mixture into a greased deep-dish pie pan and top with sliced tomatoes and leftover cheese.
Step 6 - Bake in a 350°F oven until golden brown and set.
HOW LONG TO BAKE ZUCCHINI PIE
Bake the zucchini pie in a 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the batter is completely cooked through (and the pie isn't jiggly in the middle). The top will become a beautiful golden brown colour and the inside will be firm, but still moist.
What can you serve with this Keto Crustless Pie Recipe?
Although this dish can easily be served as a main meal for breakfast or brunch, you can also serve it for lunch or dinner by simply adding any of the following:
- Easy Keto Cucumber Dill Salad
- Spicy Harissa Carrot Salad (Whole30, Low Carb, Paleo)
- Easy Keto Ham and Cheese Soufflé
Plant-Based Keto Recipe Tips
- Make Ahead: You can bake the zucchini pie in advance and let it rest on the counter at room temperature until ready to serve. If you plan to bake it more than a few hours in advance, allow the dish to cool completely, and then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This plant-based keto zucchini pie recipe will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- If you want to try to freeze the zucchini pie, allow the dish to cool completely, wrap tightly, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. The zucchini will have a more watery, slightly more mushy texture when thawed, so just be aware that it may change the consistency of the pie.
- To Reheat: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Allow the dish to come to room temperature on the counter (if refrigerated). Bake in the oven until warmed through (about 15-20 minutes). If reheating the pie directly from the freezer, you will need to allow at least 30-40 minutes to heat through (and maybe even longer). If the top of the pie starts to get too dark before it's completely warm on the inside, just tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Make sure to cover ALL the zucchini slices - I actually will get my hands dirty and mix the keto Bisquick mixture with the zucchini making sure to separate and cover all sides of each zucchini slice.
Customize your keto zucchini pie
- Feel free to mix and match veggies depending on what’s available to you! It’s okay to leave some out or add some different ones in. Adding olives is a favourite in our house!
- Mix up the cheese for a fun and different versions or swap out the Italian seasoning for any other spice mix
- For a protein boost, add your favourite breakfast meats like ham, bacon or crumbled sausage.
Basically, any way you make it it’s going to be absolutely delicious and perfect for any meal of the day: breakfast, lunch or dinner.Print
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 cups thinly-sliced zucchini
- 3 green onions, diced (use both white and green parts)
- ¾ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half (optional)
Prepare the Keto "Bisquick"
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour and baking powder. Set the bowl to the side.
Prepare the Zucchini Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the Keto "Bisquick", oil, eggs, mustard (if using), Italian seasoning and salt. Add the Parmesan and cheddar cheeses; stir to combine.
- Fold in the zucchini and onion and pour into a greased deep dish pie pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown.
- save a tablespoon each of Parmesan, Cheddar, sliced tomatoes and diced green onions and sprinkle it on the top before baking as decoration
- this keto crustless zucchini pie is contains 71% fat per slice (only 3 grams net carbs) and is therefore considered keto
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Summer
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 1
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 9
Keywords: crustless, keto, dinner, brunch, breakfast, lunch, low carb, heatlhy, gluten-free, Bisquick