Ready to make your new favourite dessert? This ridiculously easy Keto Frozen Hot Chocolate Pie has the most luscious chocolate filling (think chocolate ganache meets chocolate mousse) AND boasts a perfectly toasted quick and easy homemade marshmallow fluff topping. Need I say more?!
No-Bake Keto Pie
I know that we are all dying to get into the baking season which is right around the corner but sometimes, having a quick and easy no-bake keto pie in our recipe arsenal can help during this busy time of the year
That's where this Keto Frozen Hot Chocolate Pie comes into play. So yummy and easy to make, this sugar-free chocolate pie is perfect for a summer picnic or in the middle of winter.
Plus, this recipe can easily be converted into mini keto chocolate pies if you are looking for a no-bake keto pie for the holidays or whenever you are craving a chocolate dessert.
If you have never had a frozen hot chocolate drink, this drink is a refreshing cold concoction of hot chocolate. Rich and creamy with perfectly toasted sugar-free marshmallow fluff, this delicious dessert is truly easy to make, can be prepared in advance, and is drop-dead gorgeous and terribly impressive.
And the best part is that it requires very little effort, almost none whatsoever!
Pick your favourite keto crust, like this No-Bake Keto Pie Crust or this Easy Keto Chocolate Almond Flour Pie Crust, fill it with this Keto Chocolate Truffle with some Easy Keto Marshmallow Recipe (or use store-bought sugar-free marshmallows) fold into the keto chocolate pie mixture and top it off with either more marshmallows or some easy homemade sugar-free marshmallow fluff. A quick pass of your kitchen torch et voila!... a keto frozen hot chocolate pie is ready to be devoured!
Why you will love this recipe
- The perfect keto crust – You can choose your favourite bake or no-bake keto crust. You can also choose a chocolate crust or for a slight twist, make a graham cracker crust.
- The most luscious chocolate filling – when it comes to texture, this keto chocolate pie filling is somewhere between a luscious rich ganache and a fluffy mousse. Minimal ingredients make this chocolate filling fool-proof!
- The toasted marshmallow fluff topping – By making a sugar-free Swiss meringue that is by far, one of the EASIEST recipes out there, you can actually get this wonderfully beautiful toasted topping. And if you do not want to make this sugar-free marshmallow fluff, you can always use leftover marshmallows and scatter them over the top!
Keto Frozen Hot Chocolate Pie Ingredients
This no-bake keto pie has only a couple of simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
For the No-bake keto crust and sugar-free chocolate filling
- Heavy Cream - This creates the perfectly creamy hot cocoa center for this sugar-free chocolate pie.
- Cocoa and Cocoa Powder - Unsweetened baking cocoa (I used Ghiradelli) as well as unsweetened cocoa powder are both used in this recipe. The cocoa powder is used in both the crust and the keto chocolate pie whereas the baking chocolate is only used in the filling.
- Butter - The butter is used for creating the no-bake crust
- Almond flour - Almond flour along with the unsweetened cocoa powder form the basis for the no-bake crust.
- Sweetener - I highly suggest using allulose as the sweetener of choice in the filling but feel free to use any type of sweetener in the crust. Allulose does not crystalize when it is cold and therefore will keep your sugar-free chocolate keto pie filling nice and smooth. Erythritol-based sweeteners can crystalize when they cool and therefore can result in a grainy texture.
- pinch salt and splash of vanilla
For the sugar-free marshmallow fluff topping:
- Egg whites - you can use either fresh egg whites or egg whites that come in a carton.
- Sweetener - You can use either allulose or Swerve Confectioner
- Cream of tartar - This helps to stabilize the whipped egg whites
- Extracts - Use vanilla as well as marshmallow extract for a extra "marshmallowy" flavour
- Optional - Egg white protein powder - This ingredient is completely optional but will help to keep your marshmallow fluff nice and stiff for an extra day or two. I LOVE Naked Nutrition egg white protein powder - super clean without any additives or weird ingredients.
Here are the basic instructions with step-by-step photos of the key components of making this keto chocolate pie. IF making keto mini pies, divide the recipe in half.
Combine all the crust ingredients and press the crust into a pie pan. Place the pie pan in the fridge to firm. Heat some of the heavy cream, pour it over the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate melts, adding the sweetener, vanilla, and salt once melted.
Whisk the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the chocolate followed by the marshmallows, if using. Spread the mixture into the cold pie crust and place in the fridge.
Prepare the sugar-free marshmallow fluff.*
Once the marshmallow fluff has cooled, spread it over the sugar-free chocolate pie. Use a kitchen torch to brown the sugar-free marshmallow fluff.
Hint: Make sure that the sugar-free marshmallow fluff is fully cooled or it will melt the chocolate pie filling.
*See this post for the Sugar-free Marshmallow fluff step-by-step instructions
Can you make this hot chocolate pie a few days in advance?
You definitely can! In fact, this is one of the BEST parts about this pie: you can fill the pie crust with the chocolate filling up to 3 days in advance, and then make and toast the Swiss meringue right before serving.
How long does the hot chocolate pie keep?
Theoretically, the completely assembled hot chocolate pie keeps in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days. As I mentioned above, the meringue texture will change slightly with time, with the meringue crust going softer and losing its crispness.
Do I have to make the Swiss Meringue?
Absolutely not! You can simply serve this pie without any topping at all, if you wish! You can also add some leftover marshmallows as a topping and drizzle it with some Homemade Keto Chocolate Fudge Sauce or top it with a delicious layer of Keto Stabilized Whipped Cream (just don't try to toast the whipped cream!)
What is Swiss meringue?
Unlike the French meringue which is completely uncooked and is made by whipping together egg whites and sugar, or the Italian meringue which involves essentially cooking the egg whites with an extremely hot sugar syrup, Swiss meringue has all the benefits of the stable Italian meringue while being almost as easy to prepare as French meringue.
What does Swiss meringue taste like?
Swiss meringue tastes also identical to marshmallow fluff. It has all the lightness of marshmallow fluff without any of the sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
Do I have to make this into a pie?
No. As you can see from the pictures, I have made this recipe into mini keto frozen hot chocolate pies as well as individual cups.
More No-Bake Keto Pie Recipes
Looking for other no-bake keto pie recipes like this? Try these:
More Keto Marshmallow Recipes
These are my favorite keto marshmallow recipes:
For the no-bake keto pie crust:
- ½ cup butter, melted, unsalted
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼-½ cup allulose*
- pinch salt and splash of vanilla
For chocolate filling:
- 1 ⅔ cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 oz unsweetened cocoa (I used Ghiradelli)
- ½-⅓ cup allulose*
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional - 2-3 cups diced homemade sugar-free marshmallows or store-bought
For the Keto Marshmallow Fluff:
- ¾ cup liquid egg whites, room temperature
- ⅔-1 cup allulose*
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- OPTIONAL - ⅛ teaspoon marshmallow extract
For the Keto Crusts:
- In a small bowl, combine the crust ingredients. Press the mixture into a shallow greased pie pan. Set the crust in the fridge.
Prepare the sugar-free chocolate filling:
- Place the chopped dark chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. In a large microwaveable measuring cup, heat ⅔ cup double/heavy cream for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat at 30 second intervals until you just see it begin to boil.
- Pour the hot double/heavy cream over the chocolate. Allow to stand for 3 - 4 minutes, then stir until you get a glossy, smooth chocolate ganache. Stir in the unsweetened cocoa powder and allow it to cool until warm.
- In a separate bowl, whip the remaining 1 cup double/heavy cream with the allulose until stiff peaks only just begin to form.
- Once the chocolate ganache has cooled, gently fold the chocolate ganache into the whipped cream until fully incorporated. Add in the marshmallows, if using, and stir to incorporate.
- Transfer the chocolate filling into your keto pie crusts and smooth out the top.
- Refrigerate the filled chocolate pie for at least 4 hours, or until the filling is completely set.
For the Keto Marshmallow Fluff
- Mix the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heat-proof bowl above a pot of simmering water.
- Heat the meringue mixture with constant stirring until it reaches 165 ºF and the sugar has melted.
- Remove from heat and transfer the hot meringue mixture into a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or use a hand mixer with the double beater attachment). Whisk the mixture for 5 - 7 minutes, until it reaches room temperature and forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Make sure the meringue is completely cooled (to room temperature) before you top the pie with it, otherwise, the chocolate filling can melt.
Assembling the hot chocolate pie:
- When you are ready to serve the pie, spoon the cooled Swiss meringue on top of the chilled chocolate pie – I like to keep a wide edge free of the meringue, so you can see the chocolate filling underneath.
- Create swirls of meringue with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Toast the Swiss meringue topping with a kitchen torch.
- Serve immediately. Place any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. The pie will taste just as good but will not look as good as the days go on!
* the quantity varies depending on how sweet you like your desserts. We prefer less sweet desserts so I only use the lower quantity.
- The recipe as written is for an entire, shallow pie eventhough many pictures show mini tarts
- If you want to make 4 mini tarts or 4 glass jars, simply divide each part of this recipe in half
- if you do not add marshmallows, your pies will not be as full
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chilling Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American, Fall, Holidays, Winter
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 6
Keywords: no-bake, keto, gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb, easy dessert, holidays, mini tart