Making Keto Carnivore Pork Belly Bites in an air fryer creates a perfectly delicious easy keto snack. It’s also super easy, creates less mess than cooking it on the stovetop and allows you to multitask in the kitchen. If you’ve never pork belly, you need to give this carnivore recipe a try!
Air Fryer Pork Belly Recipe
Have you heard of pork belly? Recently, it seems to be all the rage on many cooking blogs.
Pork belly is the uber-fatty and rich portion of meat cut from the belly of the pig. It’s uncured, and often sold in big slabs, making its preparations much different from sliced streaky bacon.
Pork belly is popular in cuisines the world over. You’ll find it braised in Chinese cuisine, or deep-fried in Filipino cuisine. It can also be roasted and grilled.
However you prepare it, pork belly is fall-apart tender and will melt in your mouth when cooked properly. Just be careful not to overcook it and cause the muscle and fat to seize up and turn rubbery. This Air Fryer pork belly recipe creates a perfectly juicy, almost melt-in-your-mouth, deliciously easy keto snack.
And, since pork belly is uncured, you don’t have to worry about preservatives like nitrates or nitrites which makes it perfect to use in Carnivore recipes.
You can also add it like croutons on top of salads like this Keto Brussels Sprout Broccoli Salad with Cranberries or to this Keto Buffalo Shrimp Salad Recipe to make this a carnivore recipe!
What is a Carnivore diet?
The Carnivore Diet is an extreme dietary approach that involves consuming exclusively animal products, primarily meat, fish, and animal fats, while completely excluding plant-based foods. This means individuals following the Carnivore Diet eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and animal-derived fats like butter and lard. The diet excludes all forms of plant foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and plant-based oils. If you want to read more about how the Carnivore diet compares to the protein-sparing modified diet, check out this post.
In general, the carnivore diet consumes more protein than the keto diet which is higher in fat. See the FAQ section for more details.
Why you will love this Carnivore recipe
- First, this recipe is ridiculously easy! Simply cut the keto pork belly into chunks, season it with some salt, pepper, and paprika, and throw it in your air fryer.
- Second, cooking keto pork belly using this air fryer pork belly recipe is way cleaner than cooking pork belly on the stove. I’m known as "messy Marvin" in our home since splatters all over the stovetop are something that always happens to me! However, when you cook these keto carnivore pork belly bites in an air fryer, you don’t get any splatters! Plus, since the fat separates from these pork belly bites, you can easily pour the leftover fat into a jar to make some Carnivore mayo!
- Lastly, making this in the air fryer allows you to multitask in the kitchen. Once you toss the pork belly bites in the air fryer, you’re free to whip up some eggs or make a batch of carnivore waffles.
Ingredients for Keto Carnivore Pork Belly Bites
You won't need a ton of ingredients to make this carnivore recipe - Just 4 basic ones:
- Pork Belly - I can find large chunks of sliced pork belly at Costco. They also sell a slab of pork belly as well. Whichever choice of cut you choose, you will want to cut the pork belly into approximately ½-inch cubes.
- Seasoning - I like to simply add some salt, pepper and smoked paprika to my keto pork belly. The smoked paprika not only gives the pork belly bites a "smoky" flavour but also adds a nice colour to the bites.
How to Cook Keto Pork Belly in an Air Fryer
There are only a few basic steps for making this easy keto snack! All air fryers are slightly different so adapt the air frying time according to your tase (PS - I used a Ninja Foodi All-in-One for making these!)
Take your pork belly and cut it into approximately 1-inch cubes
Toss the pork belly bites with the salt, pepper and paprika
Place the pork belly in the basket of your air fryer
Air fry at 400 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy your keto pork belly
Hint: Save the leftover grease that is in the bottom of the air fryer and store it in the fridge. Use it instead of cooking oil or to make Keto Carnivore Bacon Mayo (recipe coming soon!)
What do I do with the leftover pork belly grease?
Keep it! Not only does pork belly grease impart a richness of flavour to braised meats and other dishes, but it also has a high smoke point which means it’s far more stable to cook with
How do I render pork belly grease?
Once you’ve cooked your bacon, remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Line a fine mesh sieve with another paper towel (you could also use a nut milk bag or cheesecloth) and pour the hot bacon grease over the sieve and into a glass jar. It’s important to use glass and not plastic, as you’ll melt plastic with hot bacon grease.
What can I use my rendered grease for?
Just about everything! I use it to fry my eggs for an amazingly tasty carnivore breakfast. It’s also great for sautéed or roasted vegetables to add depth and flavour.
Can I make this carnivore recipe if I don’t have an air fryer?
Yes! Simply heat your oven to 400 degrees F. and place the seasoned pork belly on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until it is nice and brown. Remove the pork belly and blot it with a paper towel.
What is the easiest way to cut pork belly?
I find using scissors the easiest. Also, you can throw your pork belly in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to firm slightly which makes cutting the pork belly easier. Just make sure that you let your pork belly come to room temperature before you place it in the air fryer.
How long will this easy keto snack last?
In my house, not very long as we both love it sooo much! In general, storing the pork belly in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days should not be a problem.
Do I need to preheat my Air Fryer?
No. This recipe does not require you to preheat your air fryer.
What are the nutritional differences between the Carnivore diet and a Keto diet?
Both the carnivore and keto diet limit carbs, the two diets differ in terms of the amount of protein and fat one consumes. The carnivore diet contains more protein and less fat than a keto diet. Here is the difference:
Carnivore daily calories: 50-75% from protein, 20-50% from fat.
Keto daily calories: 20-25% from protein, 70-80% from fat.
More Keto Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for other keto air fryer recipes like this? Try these:
More Keto Carnivore Recipes
These are my favourite keto carnivore recipes:
- 1 lb pork belly, cut into ½-inch chun
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Toss the pork belly pieces in a bowl with salt, pepper and paprika, making sure to cover all sides of the bites.
- Add the pork to the basket of your air fryer (no need to spray your basket with any type of cooking spray)
- Turn your air fryer to 400 degrees and set the timer for 15 minutes, making sure to stir the pork belly at the halfway point to make sure that all sides get nice and crispy. If your bites are not crispy enough for your liking, add 5 minutes of air frying time.
- Remove the pork belly bites and render the pork belly grease for later use.
- Make sure to keep the grease and render it for later use.
- The nutritional information is for cooked pork belly without the rendered fat
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Snacks, Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Carnivore, Keto, Low Carb
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: ⅙ recipe
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 0.2
- Fiber: 0.1
- Protein: 3.6
Keywords: bites, snack, keto, Carnivore, PSMF, protein-sparing modified fasting, air fryer, easy