Keto Brussels Sprout Broccoli Salad with Cranberries - This plant-based keto recipe only requires a quick, high-temperature oven roast to create crispy golden brown brussels sprouts and almost-charred, smoky broccoli. Then, this keto salad recipe is finished by tossing the vegetables in a sweet and tangy sauce studded with tart cranberries, and shallots.
Keto Salad Recipe
A holiday meal is not complete without a delicious flavour-packed salad.
Like my Keto Warm Asparagus Bacon Salad, Keto Winter Salad with Roasted Squash and Tahini Dressing or this reader favourite Keto Broccoli Salad with Maple Bacon Dressing, I love keto salad recipes that are easy to assemble, yet sophisticated enough to be served along any holiday dish!
This plant-based keto salad combines perfectly roasted brussels sprouts along with tender broccoli tossed in a sugar-free honey cranberry vinaigrette. Beautiful pops of red and green adorn this salad, making it not only a healthy vegan keto recipe but also a delicious and beautiful holiday salad!
This recipe has only a handful of ingredients that are easy enough to come by.
- Brussels sprouts - You will need about 1 lb of fresh Brussels sprouts that will be cut lengthwise. If you can, choose smaller Brussels sprouts over larger ones.
- Broccoli florets - To keep this recipe really simple, I used precut broccoli florets instead of a head of broccoli. If some of your florets are on the larger side, simply break them into smaller sections. You want the broccoli to cook evenly so the closer in size the broccoli is, the more evenly it will roast.
- Oil - You can use either avocado oil or canola oil. Do not use olive oil as it has a tendency to burn at a high temperature.
- Shallot - Shallots are typically small in size so you will only need 1-2.
- Dried Coriander - Dried coriander adds a very fresh taste that is mildly sweet as well as lemony in flavour
- Red wine vinegar - The vinegar adds the right about of acid to balance the sweetness
- Sweetener - I used sugar-free honey from ChocZero but you can also use sugar-free maple syrup instead.
- Dried bay leaf - This is optional but does add an additional level of flavour.
- Cranberries - I used frozen cranberries that I thawed at room temperature. You can also use fresh cranberries instead.
- Salt and pepper - These spices help to finish and round out the flavour of this keto salad recipe
*See the recipe card for quantities.
This recipe requires two basic steps: roasting the vegetables and preparing the cranberry vinegarette.
Slice the Brussels sprouts in half and toss with salt and pepper. (Option - You can also add the broccoli florets with the Brussels Sprouts and roast them together)
Place the Brussels sprouts on a preheated baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes. While the sprouts are roasting, place the broccoli in a large microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Prepare the cranberry salad dressing by sauteing the shallot and coriander in oil until softened.
Stir in vinegar, honey, bay leaf, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly syrupy, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in cranberries and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have started to "pop", about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
In a large bowl, toss together the softened broccoli, roasted Brussels sprouts, and cranberry vinaigrette.
Place the keto Brussels Sprout Broccoli Salad on a serving dish and sprinkle it with sliced almonds, if desired.
Hint: You can use frozen broccoli and simply thaw it in the microwave. Just make sure that you squeeze out any excess water. You can also roast the broccoli with the Brussels sprouts. I chose not to do so as I wanted the broccoli to retain its brilliant green colour to help contrast with the red cranberries!
This recipe lends itself to a number of substitutions depending on which ingredients you have on hand
- Vegetables - instead of a combination of Brussels sprouts and broccoli, you can use only one or the other.
- Red Wine Vinegar -use balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar instead
- Shallot - use a regular onion instead.
To keep this recipe vegan, do not use real honey. Instead, use sugar-free honey or use sugar-free maple syrup instead.
With just a couple of ingredient swaps, you can create a different twist to this plant-based keto recipe.
- Spicy - add a Fresno chile to the cranberry vinaigrette
- Creamy - add some tahini to the vinaigrette once it has been removed from the heat
- Maple - replace the sugar-free honey with sugar-free maple syrup.
See this Healthy Crunchy Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad for yet another healthy vegan keto recipe.
You will need a small saucepan as well as a rimmed baking sheet for this recipe. The rimmed baking sheet should be placed in the oven as the oven is preheating. This allows the vegetables to develop a nice and crispy texture.
This keto salad recipe should not be made but a couple of hours ahead of time. If you make the salad too far in advance, the broccoli will wilt and lose its nice bright green colour.
If you want to make the salad dressing in advance, you may do so for up to 1 day and store the dressing in the fridge until ready to assemble this keto salad recipe.
You can roast the broccoli with Brussels sprouts or not. If you choose not to roast the broccoli, simply steam it quickly in the microwave to soften it as well as to create the nice bright green we all love!
For the Salad
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts (about 3 cups), halved lengthwise
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 14 ounces)
- ¼ cup avocado oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the Cranberry Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon dired coriander
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar-free honey (or sugar-free maple syrup)
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cup whole cranberries, thawed
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. (Leave the baking sheet in the oven as it preheats.)
- Place Brussels sprouts in a large bowl; drizzle with ¼ cup oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Toss well to coat. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven. Add the Brussels sprout to the baking sheet; spread in an even layer. Roast in preheated oven until tender and browned, 15 to 18 minutes.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, place the broccoli florets and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Allow the broccoli to cool to room temperature before squeezing out any excess water. Set the broccoli to the side.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add shallot, and coriander; cook, stirring occasionally until shallot starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, honey, bay leaf, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly syrupy, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cranberries; cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have plumped slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine the roasted Brussels Sprouts with the softened broccoli in a large bowl; add the cranberry vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- you can always add the broccoli to the Brussels sprouts and roast in the oven instead of softening the broccoli in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad, Side
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Fall, Holidays, Winter
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 1.8
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 3.6
Keywords: salad, plant-based, keto, healthy, festive, Christmas, Thanksgiving, vegan, sguar-free, low carb
Are Brussels Sprouts good for a keto diet?
Not only can Brussels Sprouts help protect against cancers of the stomach, lungs, kidney, breast, bladder, and prostate but they are also contain only 5 grams of net carbs in 1 cup.
Is Broccoli keto-approved?
Broccoli is one of the best vegetables for a keto diet. It is not only low in carbs and high in fiber, but it is also filled with lots of healthy nutrients!
Do you have to cook broccoli for broccoli salad?
No. However, a quick softening in the microwave loosens the broccoli heads so that the cranberry dressing can get into all the broccolis nooks and crannies.
Are cranberries good for a keto diet?
There are only 6 grams of net carbs in 1 cup of cranberries so in moderation, cranberries are ok for a keto diet.