How to Make Homemade Keto Iced Cappuccino - Do you love Iced Cappuccinos but hate how much they cost as well as how much sugar they contain when you buy them from your favourite coffee shop? Then this simple sugar-free iced coffee recipe is for you! With only a handful of ingredients, you can sip on a delicious keto iced cappuccino in just a few minutes.
Homemade Keto Iced Coffee
When I was in high school, iced coffee recipes like vanilla lattes, mochas, and caramel macchiatos, did not exist. That's probably a good thing since I would have ended up spending a ton of money and giving my poor pancreas a run for its money with all the sugar in these iced coffee drinks.
Now, I do not think you can drive more than a mile without seeing either a Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or a Tim Horton's (for all my Canadian readers out there!)
But, between the cost and the amount of sugar, these drinks are not for the everyday coffee lover. So, that's why I thought it was high time to create a Homemade Keto Iced Cappuccino recipe that contains almost no sugar, is so much cheaper, and is super easy to make.
Why you will love this Sugar-free Iced Coffee Recipe
- A keto iced cappuccino is the perfect cold coffee drink for hot summer days and this recipe is my favourite way to make it.
- It is SO easy to make at home - Just brew some extra coffee in the morning, and place it in some ice cube trays. Freeze it and then when you are ready to make your homemade keto frothy coffee recipe, simply add some cream, almond milk, some xanthan gum, and some sugar-free vanilla simple syrup, until a thick and creamy keto iced cappuccino is produced.
- You can freeze leftover coffee ahead of time and then simply blend it in the morning before running out the door.
- Making homemade keto iced coffee is much cheaper than buying it at a café.
- You'll be able to control the strength of the coffee, the amount of fat, as well as the amount of sweetener. If you like your coffee strong, you can use dark roast coffee or a double shot of espresso. If you prefer a lighter flavor, use a lighter roast of coffee.
- It's the perfect way to beat the heat if you are a coffee drinker. There's nothing like a good cup of keto iced cappuccino on hot summer days.
Homemade Keto Iced Coffee Ingredients
The ingredients for this keto iced cappuccino recipe are pretty straightforward. Have some fun with the proportions and customize it to your liking or to fit your macros!
- Sugar-free Vanilla simple syrup - Making sugar-free vanilla simple syrup is really easy - simply add some water, allulose, and vanilla extract in a saucepan and boil it until the sweetener dissolves.
- Coffee - Brew coffee the way you like but I highly suggest making it much stronger for more of a coffee flavour. Pour it into ice cube trays and wait until it freezes. I like to make extra coffee in the morning and then save any leftovers to make an iced cappuccino later in the day or even the following day. If you don't want to wait to make ice cubes, you can use cold coffee instead and use plain ice cubes.
- Heavy Cream - Using heavy cream will give you the most "whipped" effect. However, you can use any milk or milk substitute - you just won't get quite as much froth.
- Xanthan gum - This is the secret ingredient to all creamy thick keto drinks. Xanthan gum will thicken your drink quickly but can go from thick and creamy to slimy in a matter of a quarter of a teaspoon, so only add it slowly until the desired consistency has been reached.
How to Make Sugar-Free Vanilla Simple Syrup
Just like my Sugar-Free Lemon Simple Syrup, 3-Ingredient Sugar-Free Cranberry Simple Syrup as well as this Sugar-Free Simple Syrup that I use for my favourite sugar-free Southside Gin Cocktail recipe, making homemade simple syrup is really easy!
Place the water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together until heated and sugar is dissolved. This will only take a few minutes. It does not need to boil.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Set aside and let the syrup cool completely. Once cooled, store the sugar-free vanilla simple syrup in an airtight container (like a mason jar) in the fridge.
Hint - To find out more about how to make sugar-free vanilla simple syrup, click here to read all about it.
Homemade Keto Iced Cappuccino Instructions
Now that you have your sugar-free vanilla simple syrup ready to go and your leftover coffee nice and chilled or frozen into ice cubes, it's time to make your first homemade keto frothy coffee recipe!
Add coffee ice cubes, cold coffee, heavy cream, and sugar-free vanilla syrup to a high-speed blender.
Turn the blender on high for about 60 seconds. Add ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum and turn the blender back on high for 60 seconds. Add an additional ⅛ teaspoon of xanthan gum until desired thickness is reached.
Taste the keto iced cappuccino and add additional sugar-free vanilla coffee syrup or sweetener to suit your taste.
Hint - Make a little extra coffee every day and pour leftovers into ice cube trays. Then, when you crave a homemade keto iced coffee, pop out the ice cubes and make your drink!
Keto Iced Cappuccino Recipe Substitutions
- Coffee - Strong coffee will give you a bold coffee flavor. You can also use store-bought Cold Brew Coffee or a shot (or two) of espresso. You can also combine a cup of boiling water with 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules or instant espresso powder (depending on how bold you want your coffee to be) and mix well.
- Sugar-free Vanilla simple syrup - Sweeten with sugar-free maple syrup or sugar-free honey to taste. You can also buy vanilla simple syrup usually in the coffee aisle at your local grocery store. Different brands will have varying amounts of sweetness so make sure you taste your keto iced cappuccino and adjust accordingly.
- Heavy Cream - Substitute coconut cream, half and half or almond milk to make it vegan.
- Ice cubes: Instead of using frozen coffee ice cubes, you can use regular ice cubes, and cold coffee instead. Make sure to reduce the amount of almond milk in the recipe or else your iced cappuccino will not be very thick.
Sugar-free Iced Coffee Recipe Variations
- Add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or chai spice before blending
- Mix in 1-2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for a mocha flavor
- Add in 1 tablespoon of keto chocolate syrup for a chocolate twist
- If you like your coffee strong and flavourful, try brewing a double shot of espresso and replacing some of the almond milk with the espresso liquid.
- For some added protein, add a scoop of sugar-free vanilla protein powder (my favourite brand is Quattro Vanilla Shake)
Homemade Keto Frothy Coffee Recipe Tips
- Whenever I have leftover coffee in the morning, I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it into coffee ice cubes. When frozen, I put them into a freezer bag, then grab them anytime I make an iced coffee; that way, I don't have watered-down iced coffee.
- There is not really an exact science to this recipe - play around with the amount of sweetener and intensity of the coffee flavour to make it exactly how you like it! Also, you can make your shake thicker or thinner depending on your preference.
- If you know you are going to make a keto iced cappuccino later on, use a higher ratio of coffee to water when preparing your cup of joe. Since the almond milk and heavy cream will dilute your drink, you will want a slightly more intense coffee flavour than you would for a hot cup
- To change up the macros, add more heavy cream for higher fat content. For a lighter sugar-free iced coffee recipe, eliminate the heavy cream altogether and use a little more xanthan gum to thicken your shake. Lastly, for a more protein-heavy macro profile, add a scoop of sugar-free vanilla protein powder.
What is the difference between an iced cappuccino and an iced latte?
The difference is in the ingredients and how they are prepared. For example, a latte is made with steamed milk, espresso coffee, and foam. On the other hand, iced coffee is made with regular brewed coffee, milk, or cream, and poured in a glass with ice. An iced latte is made with espresso; therefore, it has more caffeine than an iced coffee and has a much stronger taste.
How do I make Keto Cold Whipped Mocha Coffee?
How can I make a stronger iced coffee?
You can use espresso powder or a darker roast for a more robust Keto Cold Whipped Coffee. Also, you can use more coffee and less heavy cream to increase the coffee flavour.
Do I have to make the sugar-free vanilla simple syrup?
No. You can use plain sugar-free simple syrup or use any type of liquid sweetener, such as monk fruit. You can also omit the sweetener altogether.
What's the difference between an Iced Cappuccino and a Frappuccino?
The term "Frappuccino" was adopted by Starbucks and refers to an iced coffee drink sold by Starbucks. It is the same as a cappuccino just sold by Starbucks under its own special name.
What if my shake is too thin and liquid?
If your shake is too liquid, you have 4 options. You can add additional ice cubes, add more xanthan gum, add more heavy cream, or add some protein powder to help thicken your shake.
What if my shake is too thick?
If your shake ends up too thick, simply add more liquid, such as almond milk, leftover coffee, or water to your shake.
More Sugar-free Simple Syrup Recipes
Looking for other sugar-free simple syrup flavours? Try these:
Keto Breakfast Ideas
These are my favourite keto breakfasts to go alongside with this Keto Iced Cappuccino!
For the Sugar-Free Vanilla Simple Syrup:
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup allulose
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the coffee:
- 1-½ cups ice cubes
- 1 cup coffee, chilled
- 2-4 tablespoon sugar-free vanilla simple syrup (from the recipe above or this recipe)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
For the protein version:
Prepare the sugar-free vanilla syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the allulose and water until the allulose dissolves. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Allow the mixture to fully cool.
Assemble the coffee:
- Add the coffee ice cubes, chilled coffee, heavy cream, and simple syrup to a high-speed blender (I LOVE using my Vitamix!). Blend on high until ice cubes have broken down. Add ⅛ teaspoon of xantham gum to the blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Check the thickness of the shake and add an additional ⅛ teaspoon until desired consistency is reached.
- For protein version - Add the protein powder BEFORE adding the xanthan gum. Add additional xanthan gum to reach the desired thickness.
- See post FAQs to thin or thicken your shake
- Check out my Homemade Sugar-free Vanilla Coffee Syrup recipe
- You can add more sweeteners to suit your tastes or decrease the amount of sweetener.
- If you do not have any coffee ice cubes, use plain ice cubes - your shake will have a slightly less coffee flavour if you use plain ice cubes
- If you do not have any heavy cream, replace the heavy cream with almond milk
- If you do not have any leftover cold coffee, use instant coffee instead and make sure to chill the coffee before using.
- Nutritional information is NOT for the protein version.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American, Summer, Keto
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 glass
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 1.7
- Fat: 21
- Carbohydrates: 3.6
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 1.7
Keywords: Fat fast, keto, low carb, sugar-free, Starbucks, Tim Horton's, iced coffee, cappuccino, coffee drink