This easy Keto Sausage Cabbage Dinner recipe can be on the table in under 15 minutes! Simple ingredients, this budget-friendly keto recipe is sure to please the whole family - healthy, hearty, low carb, and low cost!
15-Minute Keto Recipe
I always find it shocking when I hear people say that they don't have enough time to cook a healthy meal. This 15-minute keto recipe comes requires only a handful of ingredients so if you are one of these "people" you have no more excuses!
This one-dish keto sausage cabbage dinner is an absolute winner. For those of you who do not like to cook or, make time to cook, this is a recipe designed for you.
Perfect for a busy weeknight or when you are just too tired to cook, this budget-friendly recipe is sure to become a family favourite!
Just like my Keto Maple Bacon Jam, my Quick 8-Ingredient Whole30 Chili as well as this Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Dijon Chicken and Veggies
Budget-Friendly Keto Recipe Ingredients
You only need 4 basic ingredients to make this keto sausage cabbage dinner. Don't have some of these ingredients? No worries! I included some substitutions for each!
- Sausage - Since I try to avoid corn syrup and additives, I like to use Kiolbassa Smoked sausage which you can find at almost any grocery store here in the US as well as at Costco and Sam's Club. However, feel free to use any smoked sausage (beef, chicken, or plant-based) of your choice. Just be aware that there are differing amounts of sugars added to sausage so make sure you check the nutritional information on the package.
- Onion - I have recently fallen in love with the onion variety known as Sweet Red Onion. They have a mild and somewhat sweet onion taste which I adore; however, feel free to use any onion of choice.
- Cabbage - I used a bag of pre-shredded cabbage from Taylor Farms which I buy from Sam's Club. If you want to chop and slice your own cabbage, check out this Cabbage Sausage Onion Skillet Meal
- Oil - Any cooking oil will work for this recipe.
- Optional Sauce - You can eat this keto sausage cabbage dinner with just some added salt and pepper or add a little soy sauce for an umami flavour. I personally like to add a sauce made up of ¼ cup keto BBQ sauce, ¼ cup soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons sesame oil.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Easy Keto Recipe Instructions
Ready to make this 15-minute keto recipe?!!
Heat a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil and oil. Cook the onion, stirring every so often, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped sausage to the pan and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point. Place the onion and sausage into a bowl and set it to the side.
Add the shredded cabbage to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add in the sauce, if using, and continue to stir until the cabbage has softened but still has some crunch. Remove the saute pan from the heat.
Stir in ½ of the sausage onion mixture until combined.
Divide evenly between 8 bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with additional sausage and onion as well as any additional garnishes or sauces.
Hint: If your sauté pan is large enough, you may have enough room to add the shredded cabbage into the pan without removing the sausage and onion from the pan.
Easy Keto Dinner Recipe Variations
You will never get sick of this easy keto recipe since there are so many variations! Here are just a few I have used.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or hot sauce for a spicier recipe
- Deluxe - add shredded cheese for a deluxe version
- Saucy - drizzle some White BBQ Sauce, Easy Homemade Keto Big Mac Special Sauce Recipe or some Keto Ginger Salad Dressing for a different twist.
See this Whole30 version on my website if you are looking for an easy keto recipe that is Whole30 compliant.
Size of Sauté Pan
You can make this keto sausage cabbage dinner in almost any frying pan or sauté pan. However, the larger the pan, the easier it is to only use one dish. Plus, when you first add in the shredded cabbage, you will need quite a bit of room until the cabbage softens.
Storing this Keto Sausage Cabbage Dinner
I personally love the leftover of this easy keto dinner recipe as lunch the next day as I find the flavours end up really blending. However, in terms of presentation, the dish is definitely not as pretty looking!
Most packaged sausage is keto-friendly. However, you should always check the back of the package and make sure that the company has not added sugar or corn syrup.
Cabbage is a very keto-friendly vegetable. Packed with tons of vitamins and minerals with very few carbs!
There are 4 grams of total carbs of which 2 grams come from fiber. The total net carbs for cabbage is roughly 2 grams.
More 15-Minute Keto Recipes
Looking for more easy keto recipes? Try these:
Pair with easy keto dessert recipes
Here are some easy keto dessert recipes to go along with this keto sausage cabbage dinner.
- 28 oz cabbage, shredded (about 1 medium head)
- 14 - 16 oz smoked sausage, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil (avocado, coconut or olive oil)
- optional: ¼ cup BBQ sauce, + ¼ cup soy sauce + 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Heat the cooking oil a large skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is starting to become translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Push the onion to one side of the skillet and add the chopped sausage to the middle of the skillet. Cook until the sausage begins to brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- If desired, remove half the sausage and onion from the skillet to serve as a garnish after plating.
- Add the cabbage and sauce (if using) and stir to combine everything. Cook uncovered for 6-8 minutes or until cabbage softens.
- Remove skillet from heat and divide mixture evenly between 4-8 plates. Garnish with extra cooked onion and sausage.
- if you do not want leftovers, simply divide this recipe in half for 4 servings total instead of 8
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American, Fall, Holidays, Winter
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 5
- Fat: 35
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 15
Keywords: keto, low carb, 15-minute, weeknight recipe, easy, healthy, skillet dinner