These perfect bite-size chocolate-covered peanut butter stuffed cookies are so easy to make. Sandwiching a sweet peanut butter and cream cheese mixture between two store-bought rice crackers and then coating each with delicious chocolate is the perfect salty sweet treat.
I really believe that exercise enhances our creativity.
What scientific experiment or study have I come across to support this statement?
However, I can confirm that these little gems did come about during yesterdays 5 a.m. run.
Isn't the fact that I came up with the idea of sandwiching a peanut butter cream cheese mixture between two store-bought crackers enough proof?!
How did this idea come about?
Well, I had bought a box of store-bought Nut Thin crackers. These crackers are made with only 7 ingredients and are gluten-free. Unfortunately, in my opinion, there taste as a cracker is not my favourite. I personally prefer my Almond Flax Seed Crackers (Whole30, LC, GF) over the Nut Thin crackers.
So, what is a girl going to do with a box of store-bought crackers that she doesn't really care for?
That's right! Combining the saltiness crunch of the cracker and adding a peanut butter stuffing and then coating the entire thing in chocolate created the most delicious and satisfying Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cookie ever!
How to make Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cookies
Take 30 Nut Thin Hint of Salt rice crackers and set them aside. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup of peanut butter with 1 tablespoon icing sugar (I use Swerve Confectioners Sugar) and 1 tablespoon of cream cheese. Stir to combine.
Take one cracker and place approximately 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture in the center. Add the second cracker on top and gently press the second cracker firmly to help distribute the peanut butter mixture. Repeat with all remaining cracker.
Place the crackers in the freezer to keep them cold while you prepare the coating.
Take a small sauce pan and fill it ¼th of the way. Place the sauce pan on the oven and bring to a simmer. Once water begins to simmer, turn the temperature down to low and add an additional bowl on top of the saucepan with the simmering water. Make sure the top bowl does not touch the water in the bottom saucepan. This creates a double boiler. Place ½ cup of chocolate chips (I use Lily's Stevia-sweetened) in the upper bowl and wait until chocolate melts. Once chocolate has melted, turn off the stove top but keep the double boiler on the stop. Remove the crackers from the freezer and carefully coat each cookie in the chocolate.
Once all cookies have been covered, place them in the fridge to cool.
Since I had some leftover chocolate, I add a little peanut butter to the mixture and once the cookies had cooled, I piped the remaining peanut chocolate mixture over each cookie.
So simple, so easy and SO DELICIOUS that you will not regret making these Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cookies!!!
Substitutions for the Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cookies:
Nut Thin Crackers: use any type of cracker including Ritz or soda crackers (both contain gluten)
Peanut Butter: use any nut butter add adjust the amount of sugar and cream cheese as necessary
Chocolate chips: use dark or milk chocolate chips. You can even you a chocolate bar instead.
If you like this quick and easy recipe, you may like the following:
- Salted Peanut Butter Fruit Dip (Keto)
- 4 Ingredient Cannoli Dip (Low Carb, Keto)
- Blueberry Greek Yogurt Tart (Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Healthy)
- Mason Jar Mug Cake Parfaits (Gluten-Free, Healthy, Keto)
- Peanut Butter Fudge (Dairy-Free, Keto)
- 30 Nut Thin Slightly Salty crackers
- ¼ cup peanut butter, softened
- 1 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp powdered sweetener (I used sugar-free Lakanto Powdered sweetener)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used Lily's Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips)
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sweetener. Stir to combine.
- Taking 1 cracker, place 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixutre in the center of the cracker. Take a second cracker and place it on top of the peanut butter mixture, pressing firmly to evenly distribute the peanut butter mixture. Repeat with remaining crackers. Once all cracker sandwiches have been formed, place crackers in freezer to help solidify peanut butter mixture.
- Using a double boiler, melt chocolate. Once chocolate has melted, carefully coat each cracker cookie with chocolate and set aside. Once all cookies have been covered, place them in the fridge to harden.
- Keep crackers in fridge or freezer.
- See post for substitutions
- See post on how to make a double boiler
- I like to store these in the freezer and eat them directly from there!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 cookie sandwhich
- Calories: 71
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.2 g