This Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Casserole is SOOOOOO GOOD and SOOOOO EASY!!!! I can not believe that with only a handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes of time, something THIS GOOD can be created. Perfect for a quick and easy Keto dinner or serve it as a side with your favourite meat, either way, this keto recipe is an absolute WINNER!
Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Casserole
Ok...I am officially in love.
That's right...this SUPER EASY absolutely DELICIOUS Keto Roasted Cauliflower Buffalo Casserole is the BOMB!
Yup...I actually used the word "Bomb" because it is seriously THAT GOOD.
Perfectly roasted yet still crunchy cauliflower, loaded with a spicy ranch and a creamy brie sauce, what is there not to love?!
And the coolest thing is that this recipe was seriously created with the "odds and ends" ingredients that I wanted to use up in my fridge. I absolutely hate throwing away food and it is also a pet peeve of mine to have large jars with only small amounts of sauces or foods inside.
So, when I noticed a head of organic cauliflower that was just beginning to look a little sad as well as a couple of tablespoons of ranch salad dressing and 2 leftover chunks of Brie cheese, I knew I had to create some kind of recipe that would use up this bits and pieces.
And out of sheer luck (with of course the help of my kitchen fairies watching over me!:-) I created the most delicious cauliflower casserole recipe I have ever come by!
Keto Plant Based Casserole Details
- Texture: This is basically a somewhat crunchy yet creamy cauliflower mixture. I did not want to have any "mushy" ingredients so I only roasted the cauliflower for about 15 minutes. If you want less texture, you can roast the cauliflower for as long as you want. Also, feel free to add any additional vegetables and roast them along with the cauliflower such as onions or peppers.
- Flavour: If you love the taste of ranch dressing with an extra level of creaminess thanks to the brie, then you will absolutely ADORE this casserole recipe. I added a little Sriracha sauce for a little extra kick and make this officially "buffalo-style" but you can omit this if you do not like spicy food. But I suggest you try it as the recipe is written as I truly think this is as close to the perfect roasted cauliflower casserole you will get.
- Ease: You pretty much have a one-dish recipe on your hands - no crazy assembly or complicated steps. You can actually roast the cauliflower in the same dish that you are going to bake it in. So, 1 casserole dish or cast-iron skillet, 1 large glass measuring cup or glass bowl, and a spoon is all the equipment you need and will have to wash. I always appreciate an easy side dish that can quickly assembled during any busy weeknight.
- Time: Set aside about 30 minutes from start to finish for this recipe. Chopping and roasting the cauliflower takes about 25 minutes and then assembling and waiting for the cheese to melt adds about 5 more. Let it cool for 5 and you are ready to indulge!
What ingredients do you need to make this Keto Roasted Cauliflower Casserole recipe?
- a small to medium head of cauliflower
- olive oil
- ranch salad dressing or blue cheese salad dressing
- any type of cheese - You can use any type of cheese that melts such as brie cheese, cheddar, blue cheese, mozzarella, gouda or pepper jack for some extra heat!
- cream cheese
- Sriracha Hot Sauce (or Frank's hot sauce - optional)
- salt and garlic powder
How do you make this Roasted Cauliflower Casserole?
- Roast the Cauliflower - By quickly tossing the chopped cauliflower in olive oil, a pinch of salt and garlic and spreading them in a dish to roast, the foundation of this dish done in no time. I REALLY prefer my cauliflower on the crunchier side so I pulled the cauliflower out of the oven after roasting for about 10 minutes. This time is only a reference range and you can feel free to add or subtract time depending on your preference.
- Make the Spicy Ranch or Blue Cheese Sauce - The sauce is the easiest part! Take a food scale and measure out 4 oz of cream cheese, 4 oz of cheese and 4 oz of Ranch Dressing or Blue Cheese Salad dressing. Place the mixture in the microwave and microwave for abput 1 minute or until the cream cheese and cheese have started to melt. Stir in anywhere between 1-3 tablespoons of Hot Sauce along with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Assemble and Bake the casserole dish - Once the cauliflower has roasted to your liking, toss the cauliflower with the spicy ranch dip. Place the mixture back in the casserole dish and sprinkle with about ¼-1/2 cup of additional cheese . Place the dish back in the oven and bake it for about 8-10 minutes.
- Finishing touches - I like to brown the cheese so I turn the oven on "Broil- Hi" for about 1-2 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble and brown on the top. Remove the dish from the oven and if you want, add some sliced green onions for a nice extra touch.
Subsitutions for some of the Keto Plant Based Casserole
Cauliflower - You could use riced cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, watermelon radishes, Kohlrabi, peppers or any other neutral low carb vegetable if you are looking to keep the carbs on the lower end.
Ranch Salad Dressing - Any creamy salad dressing will work including Blue Cheese. IF you don't have any salad dressing, you can simply whisk together 2 tablespoon of mayo with 2 tablespoon of sour cream, some salt, dill and garlic for a quick "makeshift" ranch dressing.
Cheese - This is an easy substitution as any cheese that will melt will work. Dry cheese such as feta and Parmesan will still taste good but do not melt as nicely. I think they will still work but I have not tried them so I can not tell you for sure.
Roasted Cauliflower Casserole Recipe Tips
- remove the core and outer leaves from the cauliflower and then place the cauliflower in a large bowl. Slice the cauliflower into large sections and then use your hands to break each section into smaller pieces. Using a bowl keeps the cauliflower from being messy.
- use an oven safe dish and roast the cauliflower in the same dish that you will bake it in - this saves dishes and time!
- feel free to roast the cauliflower longer for a softer roasted cauliflower
- feel free to make this dish as spicy as you like. Or, omit the spice for a delicious ranch roasted cauliflower casserole
- to make this dish vegan, use only plant-based cheese, cream cheese and salad dressing
- turn the broiler on at the end of baking if you want a deliciously crispy topping
- add any additional vegetables, such as peppers and onions, and roast them along with the cauliflower if you want.
More easy keto vegetable side dish recipes
- Keto Caramelized Skillet-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Quick and Easy Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Broccoli Maple Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Tomato Salad
- Dairy-Free Broccoli "Cheese" Soup
For the Base of the casserole
- 1 small to medium head cauliflower, broken into small pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the Spicy Cheese Sauce:
- 4 oz Ranch Salad or Blue Cheese Salad dressing
- 3-4 oz cheese of choice (cheddar, brie, gouda, mozzarella, etc.)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1-3 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the topping:
- ¼ - ½ cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL - sliced green onion, bacon bits
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a cast-iron skillet or a 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Toss the cauliflower bits with olive oil, garlic and salt until combined. Spread the cauliflower mixture into the skillet or baking pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring once at the 5 minute mark. For softer cauliflower, bake an additional 2-5 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, take a small bowl and add the salad dressing, cheese and cream cheese. Place the dish in the microwave for 30 seconds or until the cheese begins to melt. Remove the dish from the microwave and stir in the hot sauce and garlic powder.
- When cauliflower has roasted, remove it from the oven and pour the spicy cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Stir to incorporate being careful as the dish will be VERY HOT.
- Once the sauce has been combined, sprinkle the additional cheese over the top. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 10 (for crunchy cauliflower) to 15 minutes (for softer cauliflower)
- use any type of cheese that you have in your fridge
- if you like crunchy cauliflower (this is my preference) roast the cauliflower for 10 minutes and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Roasting: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Main Meal
- Method: Baking, Skillet
- Cuisine: American, Plant-Based
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 1.9
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 4.2
- Fiber: 0.8
- Protein: 3.4
Keywords: plant-based, healthy, vegan, vegetarian, keto, low carb, cauliflower, casserole, easy recipe, healthy keto