Try out this PSMF Ham Egg White Bites Recipe for a protein-filled, grab-and-go breakfast. All you need to make this healthy recipe are egg whites, red pepper, spinach, and seasonings. Skip the Starbucks line and make this healthy copycat dish at home.
PSMF Egg White Bites
Starting your day off right with a high protein breakfast can make all the difference in the world. More energy, not to mention not as "hangry", eating protein as your first meal of the day can be benefitted all day long!
Just like these Whole30 Sausage Breakfast Balls, I like to make quick and easy keto breakfast recipes that can not only be made in advance but can also be eaten on the go.
These ham egg white bites are not only easy to make but are as close as you will get to a copycat Starbucks egg bites recipe without using a sous-vide!
What is a PSMF recipe?
PSMF stands for "Protein-Sparing Modified Fast," which is a type of diet designed for rapid weight loss while preserving lean body mass. PSMF typically involves consuming a very low-calorie diet primarily composed of protein, with minimal fats and carbohydrates. It is often used under medical supervision for individuals with obesity or those preparing for surgery.
A PSMF recipe, therefore, would focus on meals that are high in protein, low in fat and carbohydrates, and generally limited in total calories.
If you want to read more about PSMF (and how it compares to a Carnivore diet), check out this post!
Ingredients for Ham Egg White Bites
The simple ingredients you need to make these copycat Starbucks egg bites include:
- Egg whites – I like to buy liquid egg whites at big box stores like Costco or Sam's Club. 3 tablespoons of carton liquid egg whites is equal to 1 egg white and to keep things simple, I made this recipe using exactly 1-16 oz carton of egg whites. I also suggest adding some egg white protein powder to this recipe. I found that adding powdered egg whites gives these copycat Starbucks egg bites a little more texture. If you do not have any egg white protein powder, you can omit this ingredient.
- Ham - I had some leftover ham from Christmas so I chopped it and added it in. I used about ½ cup of chopped ham but feel free to add more if you wish.
- Banana pepper rings – I had a huge jar of banana pepper rings that I wanted to use up so I added them to my mixture. You can use any type of pepper or even some olives if you wish. Whatever you decide to add in, make sure you chop everything into extra small pieces and drain any liquid by patting the jarred peppers down with a paper towel.
- Spinach and Onion – Take the time to finely chop these ingredients so they evenly disperse. Don't have any onion, no problem! Use onion powder or omit it altogether.
- Cottage cheese – Aim for at least 2%, 4% is even better. If there is less fat than this, the cheese will make the bites extremely watery. My FAVOURITE brand is Good Culture.
- Hot sauce – Just a splash does the trick! You can also use either Tobasco or Sriracha instead. Or, omit to avoid the heat.
- Seasoning – Salt, black pepper, and dried mustard powder are all you need here. Feel free to switch up the spices to suit your taste.
- Optional - Xanthan Gum - You do not need to add xanthan gum to this recipe but I recommend using it as it helps to emulsify the liquid ingredients so that they do not separate.
- Optional - Mozzarella cheese - If your diet allows, add about ½ cup of freshly grated mozzarella cheese (not the stuff that comes pre-shredded). ½ cup of grated mozzarella cheese will add 168 calories, about 12 grams of fat and 12 grams of protein with only 1 gram of added carbs.
What is the best Egg White Protein Powder?
As you have probably noticed in many of my recipes, I have a crush on products made by Naked Nutrition, and their Naked Egg product is one of my favourites! Naked Egg contains egg white protein powder that comes from non-GMO chicken eggs. Fresh eggs are processed into a powder in under one day to retain a complete amino acid profile to support lean muscle mass. Need I say any more???
How to Make Copycat Starbuck's Egg Bites
The basic steps for making this egg bite PSMF recipe without a high-speed blender and without using xanthan gum are as follows:
Whisk the Egg Whites
Either crack and separate eggs placing only the whites in the bowl or opt for liquid egg whites from a carton. It is best if you have a large bowl with a spout that is at least 6 cups. The spout makes it much easier to pour the liquid egg whites into the muffin wells.
Add the cottage cheese and seasonings to the egg mixture. Beat well until everything is combined.
Chop the spinach, ham, and banana peppers and evenly divide them into each muffin well. Again, if you are using jarred peppers, be sure to drain any extra liquid and dab to dry. Any excess moisture will make the bites soggy.
Spray and Pour
Carefully and evenly pour the egg white mixture into each muffin well. I LOVE to use my super old (can you tell!) silicone muffin tin as it makes these PSMF egg white bites super easy to remove from each muffin well.
If you are using an older pan that is scratched, there is a strong likelihood that the egg will stick to the tin so make sure that you coat each muffin well liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
Aim for each muffin cup to be filled to about ¾ full with the egg mixture. Once filled, use a wooden skewer or a knife and give each mufffin a quick swirl to incorporate the ingredients.
Place the pan in an oven preheated to 350℉. Set the timer for 22-25 minutes.
Be patient because at first, you will think that these ham egg white bites are cooked since they rise quickly. However, this is not the case! Be patient and wait until the middle is solid and the tops have begun to brown. Once they are fully cooked, leave them to cool slightly on the counter before removing them to allow them to fully cool.
High-Speed Blender Instructions
If you have a high-speed blender and some xantham gum, you can make these ham egg white bites even quicker than the method above!
- Add the egg white powder, cottage cheese, xanthan gum, salt, black pepper, mustard powder and liquid egg whites into your Vitamix - Blend on high for 30 seconds
- Add in the spinach and banana peppers and blend again, for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the muffin wells and bake for 22-25 minutes.
How long do these PSMF Egg White Bites last?
If you store the egg white bites in an airtight container, they should last for about 5 days.
Can I freeze copycat Starbucks egg bites?
Yes. To freeze, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Please realize that freezing these ham egg white bites will change their texture slightly.
How do I reheat this high protein breakfast?
Place 1-2 egg white bites in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Check to see if they are hot enough and if not, add 10 seconds.
What is P:E ratio?
That ratio is generally expressed as the percentage of protein energy in the diet, that is, the ratio of protein energy to total dietary energy
What is a good P:E ratio for a PSMF?
A food with a P:E ratio of 1.0 or higher is considered to have a relatively high protein density.
What is the P:E ratio of these Ham Egg White Bites?
The P:E ratio is calculated at 3.8. You can use this calculator if you change some of the ingredients to calculate your recipe P:E ratio.
More Keto High Protein Breakfast Recipes
Looking for other keto high protein breakfast recipes like this? Try these:
More PSMF recipes
Here are some more PSMF recipes to try!
- 2 cups liquid egg whites
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup egg white protein powder, plain
- 1 tbsp diced onion
- 1 tsp hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried mustard powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 cup finely diced ham
- ½ cup spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup diced banana peppers (patted dry to remove any excess moisture)
- Optional - ½ cup freshly grated mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Evenly divide the diced ham, banana peppers and spinach into each muffin well. Set the muffin tin to the side.
- Add the egg whites, egg white powder, mozzarella (if using), hot sauce, dried mustard powder, xanthan gum, salt, and pepper to a large bowl with a spout or measuring cup and whisk until well combined (I like to use my Vitamix to blend the ingredients).
- Evenly pour the egg white mixture into each muffin well until they are approximately ¾ full. Using a wooden skewer (or a small knife), give each muffin well a quick stir.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, or until the eggs are set and no longer jiggly.
- the xanthan gum is optional but it helps to keep the liquid ingredients from separating.
- I like to use a silicone muffin pan for this recipe as it allows for the egg white bites to pop out easily.
- Each muffin has a P:E of 3.8
- If using mozzarella, add 14 calories per muffin along with 1 gram of added fat and 1 gram of added protein for a total of 58 calories per muffin, 1.5 gram of fat and 8.8 grams of protein
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: PSMF, High Protein, Low Carb,
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 egg bite
- Calories: 42
- Sugar: 1.4
- Fat: 0.5
- Carbohydrates: 1.7
- Fiber: 0.1
- Protein: 7.6
Keywords: PSMF, protein-sparing modified fasting, healthy, low carb, low calorie, keto, gluten-free, copycat, Starbucks