Learn how to make the BEST keto frittata is super simple! Perfect as an easy keto dinner idea, brunch or lunch, this mushroom cheese keto frittata is not only easy but delicious!
Easy Keto Dinner Idea
Have you ever made a frittata before?
Well, much like a quiche but will less fuss, frittata are the easiest answer to almost every meal dilemma.
Perfect for getting creative with leftovers, this versatile easy keto frittata recipe can handle most things you throw at it, but there are a few keys to learning how to make a frittata.
Follow the tips to ensure you nail the best keto frittata that has a fluffy-centered with crispy edges every time!
I love making keto crustless quiche recipes (a crustless quiche is the same thing as a frittata!), like this Keto Philly Cheesesteak Crustless Quiche as well as this Easy Plant-Based Keto Zucchini Pie which are an easy keto dinner idea perfect any hectic workday.
Why you will Love this Sausage Mushroom Cheese Keto Frittata
Easy - This keto crustless quiche comes together in under 10 minutes and is ready for the dinner table in under 30 minutes!
Perfect for any meal - This keto frittata is perfect for an easy keto dinner idea, lunch, brunch or even breakfast.
Great way to use leftovers - If you are like me, you often have some odds and ends lying around in your fridge at the end of the week. Learning how to make a frittata means that you will never have to throw out anything ever again since you can just toss it into this dish to create the best keto frittata!
Healthy Macros - Frittatas are easy to modify to help fit into your daily macro calculations. Use fewer veggies and more meat for a higher protein count or add some extra cheese or replace the unsweetened almond milk with heavy cream for a higher fat content.
Tips for Making the BEST Keto Frittata
Although you do not need to follow this recipe to a tee, there are a couple of key factors to think about when trying to create the best keto frittata.
Add-ins - You will always want to keep your ratios pretty consistent to ensure the best keto frittata. Keep your mix-ins (veggies, meat, etc.) to around 2 cups, your eggs around 6-8, your milk at about ¼ cup to ⅓ cup and you will only want to add about ¾ cups of cheese to the mixture. Using salt, pepper and red pepper flakes are all you really need to do to season the frittata.
Pre-Cook Veggies - It’s vital to cook your vegetables and/or meat first, and make sure they aren’t soggy. For this recipe, you are going to sauté the mushrooms and shallot until soft and most of the water has been removed. If your veggies seem a bit wet after cooking, give them a pat down to ensure they’re dry before adding your egg mixture. Also, when you pour the eggs over your cooked veggies, make sure to give the whole thing a quick stir or shake to help distribute them all evenly.
Pick the right pan - Using a hot cast iron or any heavy, oven-proof skillet is really all you need to achieve it. Once you're done cooking the add-ins, pour your eggs into the still-hot skillet, transfer to the oven, and let it do its magic. Same goes if you're starting with leftovers—just get the pan nice and hot and add a little oil or butter to ensure nothing sticks
Keto Frittata Ingredients
- Eggs - You will need 6-8 eggs for this recipe. If you are using a 10-inch pan, use 6 large eggs and if you are using a 12-inch skillet, use 8 eggs.
- Cheese - I used mozzarella cheese in this recipe but feel free to use any cheese you want. I do HIGHLY suggest grating your own cheese since pre-shredded cheese does not melt as well and will not produce the same creamy texture.
- Sausage - I used Amylu Paleo sausage links but you can use any sausage links and slice them or use crumbled sausage instead. You can also omit this ingredient for a plant-based keto frittata.
- Milk - I used unsweetened almond milk but any milk, cream or milk-alternative will work.
- Oil - The oil is used to cook the vegetables. I love extra-virgin olive oil in this reicpe.
- Veggies - For this recipe, I decided to use baby bella mushrooms, spinach and onions that are cooked before hand to ensure that some of the moisture is removed from the veggies. Do not put raw vegetables into a frittatas as the frittata will not set properly.
- Seasoning - Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic come together for the perfect spice mix.
- Sour Cream - This ingredient is optional but adds an extra level of creaminess to this keto frittata
Instructions for making the BEST Keto Frittata
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
Whisk together the eggs, cheese and milk. Set the bowl to the side.
Add the oil to the skillet and heat at medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until softened. Add in the garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
When the veggies are ready, pour in the frittata egg base, and shake the pan gently to distribute it among the vegetables.
Dollop sour cream over the top and remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-22 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is lightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
How many eggs do you use for a keto frittata?
You will want to use 6 eggs for a 10-inch skillet and 8 eggs for a 12-inch skillet.
Do you need to wipe out the skillet after cooking the veggies?
No! The best thing about this easy keto dinner idea is that it literally only one dish from start to finish!
How do I make this keto frittata using leftovers?
If your leftovers have already been cooked, simply heat the skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Once the oil gets hot, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cooked veggies and meat.
More Keto Egg-Based Recipes
Looking for other easy keto dinner, breakfast or brunch recipes like this? Try these:
Add these Keto Salads:
These are my favourite keto salads to serve alongside keto frittatas:
- 6-8 large eggs (depending on size of pan)*
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot or onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6-8 sausage links, sliced (about 200 grams)
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sour cream, divided
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, ¼ cup of cheese, almond milk, and ¼ cup of sour cream. Set the bowl to the side
- In a 10-12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add shallot (or onion) and sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms and onion have softened, about 5 -7 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for an additional 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute. Season with salt, black pepperand red pepper flakes.
- Pour the egg mixture into pan over the sausage, mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle remaining cheese and dollop with remaining sour cream.
- Bake frittata until eggs are just set and edges are golden brown, about 15 - 20 minutes
- * for a 10-inch skillet, use 6 eggs and for a 12-inch skillet, use 8 eggs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Main Meals
- Method: Baking or Skillet
- Cuisine: America, Fall, Holidays
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 4.6
- Fiber: 0.6
- Protein: 12
Keywords: quiche, crustless, frittata, keto, low carb, healthy, dinner, brunch, breakfast, gluten-free