This Keto Pulled Alabama Chicken is a super simple pressure cooker or slow cooker recipe that tastes delicious! Shredded chicken smothered in a white barbecue sauce that comes together with minimal effort? What is there not love?!
Keto Shredded Chicken
Chicken is a go-to dinner in my household, and one of my favourite ways to prepare it is this keto shredded chicken recipe. All you have to do is set your chicken, thawed or frozen, in your pressure cooker or slow cooker, let it cook in liquid, shred it, and toss it in a delicious Keto White BBQ sauce!
Shredded chicken is great for use as an add-in to recipes of all kinds. It’s delicious with with a side of salad or add it to Zero Carb wraps for a quick taco night. You can also simply dump it on top of salads for a super quick and easy keto lunch or dinner!
You can add as much or as little sauce as you wish to help accommodate your macros. The best part is, that you can make this keto shredded chicken to fit into a PSMF or Carnivore diet as well! (See this post about using fresh or frozen chicken, so you can have it ready with minimal prep.
What makes this Keto White BBQ Chicken so good
There are several reasons that this Keto Pulled Alabama Chicken is one of our favourite go-to recipes in our house!
- Uber Easy - Whether you choose to make this keto shredded chicken in a slow cooker or pressure cooker, it requires almost zero "hands-on" time.
- Fast - Keto pressure cooker pulled chicken takes only 14 minutes of cooking time with fresh chicken breasts and only 18 minutes with frozen chicken. Altogether, the total time is about under 30 minutes which makes this a great fast weeknight dinner recipe
- Delicious - The perfect combination of spicy, sweet, and savoury come together in every mouthful!
- Carnivore and PSMF Friendly - To keep this recipe Carnivore, use dark chicken meat. If you want this to be a PSMF recipe, use chicken breast and do not sauce your chicken as much. Also, use this PSMF mayo recipe instead of the regular mayo which will make this a VERY PSMF recipe so keep checking back!
What is a PSMF Diet?
A Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) is a specialized, medically supervised diet that is designed to promote rapid weight loss in individuals who are significantly overweight or obese. It is a very low-calorie diet that focuses primarily on high-quality protein intake, with minimal consumption of carbohydrates and fats. The goal of a PSMF is to provide essential amino acids to preserve lean muscle mass while inducing a state of ketosis, where the body primarily burns fat for energy.
What is a Carnivore Diet?
The Carnivore Diet is an extreme dietary approach that involves consuming exclusively animal products, primarily meat, fish, and animal fats, while completely excluding plant-based foods. This means individuals following the Carnivore Diet eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and animal-derived fats like butter and lard. The diet excludes all forms of plant foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and plant-based oils.
Ingredients for Keto Pulled Alabama Chicken
Here are the main ingredients you will need to make this keto White BBQ chicken recipe along with some substitutions:
- Chicken - I used boneless skinless chicken breasts but you can also use chicken thighs/ The great thing about this recipe is that you can use either thawed or frozen chicken.
- Mayo - This is the key ingredient and difference when it comes to making a white BBQ sauce. I love using my Homemade Mayo but you can use any store-bought mayo instead. You can also make this keto shredded chicken and toss it with some homemade sugar-free BBQ sauce instead.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - this adds some nice "tang" to the sugar-free Alabama sauce
- Banana Peppers - You will need the juice from the jarred banana peppers. This will be used as the liquid component to be added to the pressure cooker as well as some will be added to thin out the White BBQ sauce. The banana peppers themselves are added at the very end to give this keto shredded chicken a little zip! If you do not have enough banana pepper juice, you can replace the 1 cup of banana pepper juice with 1 cup of chicken broth instead.
- Sweetener - Although Alabama sauce is not as sweet as regular BBQ sauce, you will still need to add a little sweetener to help round out the flavour. You can use allulose or any other type of granular or liquid sweetener. Feel free to adjust the level of sweetness to suit your taste.
- Horseradish - This adds a nice little spiciness to the sauce.
- Spices - Salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and some cayenne also help to give this mayo-based white BBQ sauce an extra little kick.
Keto Pressure Cooker Pulled Chicken Instructions
Making this keto White BBQ chicken recipe is easy! Follow the step-by-step instructions below for the most easy and amazing keto dinner recipe!
Place chicken breasts inside the pressure cooker. Pour the banana pepper juice or chicken broth over the chicken.
Cover, seal, and set the pressure cook on high for 14 minutes. If using frozen chicken breasts, cook on high for 18 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool before shredding.
While the chicken is cooling, place all the keto White BBQ sauce in a bowl.
Whisk the ingredients until fully combined.
Pull the chicken and add as much or as little sauce as you wish to the keto shredded chicken in the pot and stir until the sauce has been heated.
Note: The liquid that remains at the bottom of the pressure cooker can be discarded or you save it and use it as chicken broth.
Substitutions for PSMF and Carnivore Diets
There are only a couple of quick swaps for converting this keto shredded chicken into either a PSMF or Carnivore diet-friendly recipe:
- For PSMF - Use chicken breast meat and not thigh meat, and use my PSMF mayo recipe instead of my Avocado Mayo recipe.
- For Carnivore - Use chicken thigh meat (higher in fat) or chunks of beef and use Carnivore mayo. Also, omit the banana peppers altogether.
Keto Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Instructions
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker submerged in chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours for thawed chicken and 5-6 hours for frozen chicken, or on high for 2-3 hours for thawed chicken and 3-4 hours for frozen chicken, until the chicken is cooked through and can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Shred using two forks or a mixer.
What is an easy way to shred chicken?
You can use a few different tools to shred chicken – it’s easy to do. Either shred the chicken by hand once it’s cooled enough to handle, use an electric hand mixer, or simply use two forks to pull the chicken apart. The chicken will shred easily using a mixer.
Can I use pork or beef?
Of course! This recipe works really well using pork or beef. Mix it up and have fun! I love to make the big batch and store it in the freezer. You may need to adjust the cooking time
How do I make large quantities of shredded chicken?
For a general rule, 2 chicken breasts is enough for about 2-4 people depending on appetite and what the chicken is used for. For every added chicken breast or thigh, add approximately ½ cup of liquid.
What does the P:E ratio mean?
The P:E ratio is a simple way to see how much energy your food provides relative to protein. A food or meal’s P:E ratio is calculated by dividing its protein (in grams) by the total energy from fat and non-fiber carbs (in grams). The higher the P:E ratio, the more PSMF-friendly the recipe.
What is the P:E ratio of this recipe is using the PSMF version?
If you use PSMF mayo, this recipe clocks in at a ratio of 5.8.
More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for other keto slow cooker recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with Keto Pulled Alabama Chicken:
More Keto Carnivore Recipes:
Looking for more keto carnivore recipes? Check these out!
More Protein-Sparing Modified Fasting Recipes:
Here are ideas for PSMF recipes that are quick and easy!
For the Shredded Chicken
- 2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken, thigh or breast meat or combination
- 1 cup banana pepper juice or 1 cup chicken broth (or a combination of both)
For the Alabama Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or PSMF mayo)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp allulose (or sweetener or choice)
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste
- 1 cup sliced jarred Banana peppers
Prepare the Keto Alabama Sauce:
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a blender (you can use a stick blender as well), until smooth, about 1 minute. Refrigerate the sauce in an airtight container for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Prepare the chicken:
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of your pressure cooker. Pour the banana pepper juice or chicken broth over the chicken.
- Seal the pressure cooker and cook on high for 14 minutes or if chicken is frozen, 18 minutes.
- Prepare the Alabama sauce by
- Turn the knob to "vent" and manually release the pressure (I always put a dish drying towel over the vent to absorb some of the steam) until the the pressure has all been released and you are free to open the pressure cooker lid.
- Remove the chicken and place it in a large bowl. Shred the chicken either using two forks or a hand mixer until fully shredded.
- Add as much of the sauce to the bowl with the shredded chicken as you wish. If your sauce is cold, you can always remove the liquid from the pot and add the chicken and sauce to the pot since the post will still be hot from pressure cooking the chicken.
- Stir and add some banana peppers rings, if desired. Enjoy!
- See post for preparing shredded chicken in a slow cooker.
- Nutritional information is for the keto chicken recipe listed above.
- For PSMF recipe using PSMF Mayo, the nutritional information is as follows: 253 calories, 6.1 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbs, 50 grams of protein
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: PSMF, High Protein, Low Carb, Carnivore, Keto
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 515
- Sugar: 1
- Fat: 32
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 52
Keywords: keto, Carnivore, PSMF, protein-sparing modified fasting, high protein, easy, weeknight, healthy, Alabama, BBQ White sauce