Easy Keto Boursin Mushrooms are a staple around here adding rich and creamy flavour to any keto dinner! These keto sauteed mushrooms are the perfect addition to any chicken, steak or even over shirataki noodles for a quick and easy keto meal.
Boursin Mushrooms are one of my all time favourite keto sides, along with my Keto Brussels Sprout Broccoli Salad with Cranberries, Keto Mozzarella Salami Salad - Easy Antipasto Salad Recipe and my The BEST Keto Broccoli Salad with Maple Bacon Dressing.
These keto Boursin mushrooms add such a deliciously earthy rich and creamy flavour to dishes and are ready in just minutes. This fat fast recipe is perfect on its on, as a side dish or make a great topping for Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork Tenderloin or stuff them into these Pancetta Burger Bowls.
For this fat fast recipe, mushrooms are sauteed in butter while the heavy cream and Boursin are melted together to create the perfect cream sauce. Add a dash of soy sauce or some hot sauce if you like, these Boursin mushrooms are easy to customize to your liking.
These Keto Boursin Mushrooms only require 4 basic ingredients!
- Mushrooms - You can use any type of mushroom for this recipe. You will need a pound of mushrooms so I stuck with the cheaper basic white buttom mushrooms that you can get a Costco or Sam's Club. The mushrooms will be need to be quartered so that there are multiple sides of each mushroom that will be caramelized.
- Butter - I used salted butter but you can use unsalted butter and simply add a pinch of salt to the recipe.
- Boursin - Boursin cheese combines savory herbs and rich flavors with creamy, yet crumbly Gournay Cheese. Feel free to use any flavour of Boursin for this recipe.
- Heavy Cream - Heavy cream is combined with the Boursin for the most delicious sauce! For a thicker sauce, add less heavy cream and for a thinner sauce, add more!
See the recipe card for quantities.
Ready for the instructions? I am not kidding when I said that this was a super easy Boursin recipe!
Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the quartered mushrooms. Let the mushrooms brown on one side (about 3-5 minutes) before stirring. Cook on medium-high heat until all the sides of the mushrooms have been caramelized.
While the mushrooms are caramelizing, combine the heavy cream and Boursin cheese in a small saucepan
Heat on medium-low heat until the Boursin melts. Whisk the ingredients together and remove the saucepan from the heat.
Once the mushrooms have been caramelized, add the Boursin cream sauce and bring the sauce to a very low simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavours.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mushrooms sit in the sauce for about 5-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
Hint: You can add as much or as little cream to create a thinner or thicker consistency depending on what you plan on doing with the Boursin mushrooms. If serving on steak, chicken or pork, use less heavy cream for a thicker sauce. If you are serving the keto sauteed mushrooms over shirataki or zucchini noodles, add a little more cream for a thinner sauce.
I have only made these keto Boursin mushrooms as described in the recipe card. However, I am fairly certain that the following substitutions will create the same delicious recipe.
- Heavy Cream - instead of heavy cream, you can use the thick creamy part of canned coconut milk
- Boursin - use Alouette or any other flavoured creamy cheese. You could also use plain cream cheese and add some fresh herbs to add some flavour.
- Mushrooms - any type of mushroom should work in this recipe so whichever type you have in your fridge should work.
- Butter - If you do not have salted butter, you can use unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt. You can also use olive oil instead and add a pinch of salt.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or a splash of hot sauce
- Deluxe - add some chopped onions and cook them along with the mushrooms
- Extra Cheesy - add some parmesan cheese or any other cheese for an even cheesier version!
See this spicy version of this recipe on my website! (placeholder for in-content link)
To properly caramlize the mushrooms, you want to use a saute pan or frying pan that is fairly large. Over-crowding the mushrooms will not allow them to get that perfectly golden brown colour that we are looking to achieve.
I would suggest at least a 12-13-inch skillet/saute pan for this recipe. Also, realize that if you use a thick bottom skillet like a cast-iron skillet, the mushrooms will take longer to brown as the thicker the skillet, the longer it takes to actually heat the bottom of the skillet.
My favourite skillet these days is this Sensarte 12'5 inch skillet.
You can store these Boursin mushrooms in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days. The sauce will thicken when it cools but will thin out when you reheat it. If you reheat it and it is not thin enough for your liking, simply stir in some additional heavy cream.
I do not suggest reheating these keto sauteed mushrooms in the microwave as the heavy cream could boil and curdle. Your best bet is to slowly reheat the mushrooms in a small saucepan on the stovetop.
Top tip for the perfect caramelized mushrooms
To get the perfect caramlized mushrooms for these Boursin mushrooms, there are few tricks that will help. First, wipe your mushrooms clean instead of running them under water - mushrooms are very absorbent so they will take up too much liquid and become soggy if they are soaked. You can also buy organic mushrooms and not even bothering cleaning the mushrooms. Using butter and not oil helps as well as not overcrowding the pan. Finally, do not stir the mushrooms to much - allow the mushrooms to form a nice brown colour on one side before stirring them and keep the heat up fairly high to help with the browning.
What type of cheese is Boursin?
Boursin is a Gournay cheese that resembles the texture of cream cheese but with added herbs for a delicious taste.
What is the best way to saute mushrooms?
Heat butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms leaving space between. Cook mushroom for 3-5 minutes before turning. Stir and allow mushrooms to finish cooking for a couple more minutes.
How long should you cook mushrooms before stirring?
Cook mushrooms for about 4-5 minutes before stirring them. This will allow the mushrooms to get a nice golden colour.
Why do you not want to cook mushrooms at a low temperature?
Cooking mushrooms at a low temperature will cause too much liquid and result in soft and slightly mushy mushroom.
What is a fat fast?
I will be posting a detailed blog post on fat fasting but for a general idea, a fat fast is a 3-5 day fast whereby you take in 800-1200 calories of which the fat content is 80-90%. It helps when you hit a weight loss plateau.
Related Keto Side Dishes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with these Keto Boursin Mushrooms:
- 16 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp butter, salted
- 5 oz Boursin cheese
- 1 to 1 ½ cups heavy cream (depending on how thick or thin you want your sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and cut them into quarters. Set the mushrooms to the side.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Boursin cheese and heavy cream on medium-low heat, being careful not to allow the heavy cream to come to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until the Boursin cheese has melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk the ingredients toghether until fully incorporated. Set the saucepan to the side.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium-high heat until nice and hot. Add in the mushrooms and spread the mushrooms, trying to keep the mushrooms from touching. Allow the mushrooms to cook undisturbed for 4-5 minutes. Stir the mushrooms to cook the other side for an additional 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are nice and brown.
- Once mushrooms have caramelized, pour the hot Boursin cream mixture over the mushrooms. Saute on low heat for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- use less cream for a thicker sauce
- taste the Boursin mushrooms and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Fat Fast - 85% fat
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American, Holidays
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 84 grams
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 2.6
- Fat: 20.5
- Carbohydrates: 3.9
- Fiber: 0.6
- Protein: 3.8
Keywords: fat fast, keto, easy, low carb, gluten-free, side dish, holidays