These Keto Strawberry Macaroons are soft and chewy on the inside but perfectly crispy on the outside. A coconut lover's dream, this delicious easy keto cookie recipe requires only five ingredients and around 30 minutes to make.
Keto Macaroon Recipe
Mr. Grumble's is a coconut lover...me, not so much! However, after making my first batch of Keto Easter Funfetti Macaroons a couple of years ago, I took a liking to certain types of coconut desserts.
Chewy and rich on the inside, crisp and golden on the outside, these are as delicious plain but even more irresistible when dipped and drizzled in dark chocolate.
Keto Strawberry Macaroons
Coconut is one of those ingredients that people seem to love or hate, with very few being in the middle.
If you look for macaroon recipes on the web, there are a variety of ways to make them. In the past, I’ve always made my keto macaroon recipe with just basic ingredients which include shredded unsweetened coconut, sweetener, and egg whites. While those simple easy keto cookies have always been good, I wanted to try a twist for these keto strawberry macaroons.
After finding an interesting recipe on America's Test Kitchen, I decided to adapt the recipe to create a sugar-free macaroon that would rival any macaroon recipe on the web.
Macaroons Vs Macarons
You might be wondering what the difference is between macaroons and macarons. There is quite a bit of confusion as to macaron vs macaroon.
Macaroons are made with coconut, whereas macarons are colourful and delicate sandwich-style cookies made with almond flour. While they have similar names, they are very different cookies.
Ingredients for Sugar-Free Macaroons
The ingredients needed to make these easy keto coconut cookies are very simple. You will need the following items:
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut - I like to use Bob Mill's coconut. Make sure you use "shredded" and not "flaked" coconut.
- Egg Whites - Liquid carton egg whites work great in this recipe but you can also use any leftover egg whites instead.
- Canned coconut - To get a nice and creamy texture, I added a little canned coconut to the mixture. If you do not have any canned coconut, simply use almond milk instead.
- Vanilla and Strawberry extract - You will need strawberry extract to get the strawberry flavour. Almost all grocery stores carry strawberry extract but if you can not find it, you can always buy it on Amazon. For an even stronger strawberry-forward flavour, add a teaspoon of strawberry powder
- Sweetener - You can use any sweetener for making this easy keto cookie recipe but I do not suggest allulose as it will brown too quickly and your macaroons will not be quite as bright in colour.
How To Make Keto Strawberry Macaroons
You only need about 5 minutes of prep time and then in the oven they go!
Add the Funfetti coconut and any additional coconut needed to make up 7 oz in a food processor.
Process for 1 minute. Add sweetener and process for an additional minute.
Add the egg white and extract and process for an additional minute. Add the canned coconut milk and process until a thick paste forms.
Form macaroons using a tablespoon cookie scoop. Bake in a 325-degree oven until just beginning to brown.
Remove from oven and allow them to cool. Once cooled, melt the chocolate in the microwave and dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate. Drizzle any remaining chocolate over the macaroons for decorations.
What is the best way to bake keto macaroons?
Macaroons must be baked on parchment paper. They will stick to an ungreased sheet and spread on a greased one.
How can I shape these sugar-free macaroons?
You can always choose to pipe the macaroon dough if you wish into more decorative cookies. You will need a slightly less stiff dough if piping the macaroons, so add extra coconut milk (or water), as needed, to make a pipeable paste.
Are macaroons gluten-free?
Good news, they are gluten-free! However, if you need gluten-free macaroons, make sure you check each ingredient. Different brands have different manufacturing processes, so always confirm that your ingredients may not contain or be contaminated with gluten.
Is canned coconut milk the same as the coconut milk that is found in the carton?
No. Canned coconut milk is much thicker and higher in fat than carton coconut milk. Also, don't mistake coconut cream for coconut milk as coconut cream is sweetened.
More Keto Coconut Recipes
Looking for other easy keto coconut recipes like this? Try these:
More Easy Keto Cookie Recipes
These are the most popular keto cookie recipes on my blog!
- 7 oz Pink Funfetti unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sweetener
- 4 tbsp egg whites
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- pinch of salt
- optional - 1 teaspoon freeze-dried strawberry powder
- optional - 1 cup sugar-free chocolate
- Prepare your pink Funfetti coconut, following these instructions. No need to allow it to fully dry as you will need some moisture for this recipe.
- Set your oven rack to the lower ⅓ rd of the oven. Turn the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the baking sheet to the side.
- Place the funfetti coconut into a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade; process 1 minute. Add sweetener, strawberry powder (if using) and process 15 seconds longer. Add egg whites and extract; process 1 full minute. Add the canned coconut milk and process until the paste resembles slushy snow. Scrape sides and corners of the work bowl with a spatula; process until a stiff but cohesive, malleable paste (similar in consistency to marzipan or pasta dough) forms, about 5 seconds longer. If the mixture is crumbly or dry, turn the machine back on and add additional canned coconut milk by drops through the feeder tube until proper consistency is reached.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out even portions of the dough, and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet (I ended up with 18 macaroons)
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the macaroons just begin to brown ever-so-slightly around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- If dipping in chocolate, take the sugar-free chocolate and place it in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir the mixture. Repeat in 15-second intervals, until all the chocolate has melted.
- Take each macaroon and dip into the chocolate. Set the macaroon back on the parchment piece of paper. Drizzle any leftover chocolate over the macaroons.
- nutritional information is for macaroon only and not optional sugar-free chocolate drizzle.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Keto, Low Carb, Sugar-free
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 0.8
- Fat: 7.7
- Carbohydrates: 3.1
- Fiber: 1.5
- Protein: 1.6
Keywords: strawberry, macaroon, easy, keto, low carb, sugar-free, cookie