This 4-ingredient Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts recipe is my favourite keto vegetable side dish! Cooking the sprouts in heavy cream with a pinch of salt and nutmeg converts Brussels sprout haters into lovers! Add some optional shredded mozzarella and a little Parmesan cheese for the most amazing recipe that will quickly become addicting.
Keto Brussels Sprouts Recipe
How do you feel about Brussels sprouts? Do you love them, or hate them?
For the longest time, I actually very much disliked these little stinkers. However, over the past few years, I have been exploring new and different ways of preparing Brussels sprouts and now consider myself a Brussels sprout lover!
The key to loving Brussels sprouts is preparing them the right way. No one’s dying for more boiled or steamed sprouts – they’re often bitter, and they have an unappealing mushy texture.
However, if you prepare them as a casserole, like this Delicious Keto Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Casserole, or add them to some broccoli for a crunchy salad, such as this Keto Brussels Sprout Broccoli Salad with Cranberries, I am sure that you will be able to convert anyone from a hater to a lover.
So, gather even your biggest skeptics and make this easy keto vegetable recipe tonight and see if you can't get a few lovers out of this recipe!
* This recipe was adapted from America's Test Kitchen
Why you will love this Keto Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Easy - This recipe only requires 4 basic ingredients and about 15 minutes to make. Quick, easy and delicious! There are two optional ingredients (mozzarella and Parmesan) that can be added for a little twist to these creamy Brussels sprouts.
Taste - By braising the Brussels sprouts in heavy cream, all the mild bitterness that some people dislike magically disappears and you end up with a nice, tender and flavour-packed sprout
Texture - Braising the sprouts until they are just able to be pierced with a knife ensures that they do not end up mushy.
Leftovers - This recipe makes enough to serve 8 people but even if you are only 2, like myself and Mr. Grumbles, I make the entire recipe as the leftovers are delicious for the following 3 days!
Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
You only need 4 basic ingredients to prepare these creamy Brussels sprouts!
- Brussels Sprouts - Look for Brussels sprouts that are on the smaller side. If you have some that are a little bigger, slice them in half. You will need 2 lbs. for this recipe but feel free to cut this recipe in half and only use 1 lb. instead.
- Heavy Cream - The original recipe called for 1 cup of heavy cream for 1 lb of sprouts but I found that the ratio of 1 cup of cream for 2 lbs of sprouts turned out perfectly and reduced the amount of leftover braising liquid.
- Salt - You will want to use table salt and not Kosher salt for this recipe
- Nutmeg - Nutmeg adds a nutty, warm, and slightly sweet flavour to this keto vegetable side dish. It's best if freshly grated but ground nutmeg works well - just add as much as you suits your taste.
- Optional - Cheese - I like to add some freshly grated mozzarella cheese once the sprouts have been cooked. This thickens the heavy cream sauce and creates a nice coating over the sprouts. You can easily omit the cheese or add any type of cheese you wish.
Keto Brussels Sprouts Recipe Instructions
There is only a little prep work to get the Brussels sprouts ready but the rest of this easy keto vegetable recipe is ridiculously simple!
Add the Brussels sprouts to a large sauté pan.
Add the cream and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer until the Brussels sprouts can easily be pierced with a knife (about 10 minutes)
Add the cheeses (if using) and stir until the cheese has melted. Stir in the nutmeg and add any additional salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the braised Brussels sprouts to a serving dish and enjoy!
How do you pick the best tasting Brussels sprouts?
When buying Brussels sprouts, choose those with small, tight heads, no more than 1 ½ inches in diameter, for the best flavor. Larger sprouts can often be trimmed of loose leaves along the stem and still be quite good; they cook best when cut in half.
How do you prep Brussels sprouts?
First, trim and chop the Brussels sprouts. Chop off and discard any dry or woody stems at the bottom of the sprouts. Then, slice larger sprouts in half, leaving smaller ones whole. Aim for all your veggies to be a similar size so that they cook evenly.
Can I make this keto recipe dairy-free?
I think these creamy Brussels sprouts would probably work using canned, full-fat coconut milk. I have not tried it yet, so if you do, let me know how it turns out!
How long do these creamy Brussels sprouts last?
I have made this recipe, stored it in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days and I think they taste just as good as the first day!
Are Brussels sprouts keto-friendly?
Yes. Brussels sprouts are a great low carb vegetable. They contain about 4 to 5 net carbs per cup making them the perfect low-carb vegetable to add to your keto diet.
More Keto Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
Looking for other easy keto vegetable recipe ideas like this? Try these:
More Quick and Easy Keto Dinner Recipes
These are my favourite keto dinners to serve with these Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts:
- 2 lbs small Brussels Sprouts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch nutmeg
- Optional - ½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella and ¼ cup shelf-stable grated Parmesan
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming off their woody ends.
- In a large saute pan, bring the sprouts, cream, and salt to boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer (shaking pan once or twice to redistribute sprouts) until knife tip inserted into a brussels sprout center meets no resistance, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add in the cheese, if using and stir until melted.
- Season with nutmeg and pepper and serve
- feel free to divide this recipe in half and only use 1 lb of Brussels sprouts.
- net carbs is equal to 5 grams
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American, Whole30, Keto, Paleo
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 2.7
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 8.6
- Fiber: 3.6
- Protein: 3.8
Keywords: holidays, easy, keto, low carb, healthy, gluten-free, side dish, vegetable