Craving for yummy pulled pork but don't have the time? Today I am going to show you how to make the BEST Keto Air Fryer Pulled Pork. Now you can perfectly low carb pulled pork for a fraction of the time by simply using your air fryer! Juicy, tender, easy and super easy to clean up, this perfectly cooked pulled pork is soon to become your "go-to" pulled pork recipe.
Now we all know that the best-pulled pork has to be is fall-apart tender, juicy, and packed with flavour.
Could you actually make the "best" pulled pork using an air fryer?
Since I have had my Ninja Foodi All-in-One for some time, I think that I am finally getting the hang of it. I love how tender meat can get and how fast the meat gets done.
My Slow Cooker Pulled Pork takes 8 hrs or even longer on a smoker. But this pulled pork recipe in the air fryer was done in about 1 hour!
Plus, it was so tender that it fell apart when I tried to take it out of the pot!
So, after making this recipe a million times (ok...slight exaggeration!) I am beyond thrilled to finally be sharing my good old pulled pork recipe with you guys!
I've shared my 3-Ingredient Italian Pepper Pulled Pork and an easy Mexican Pulled Pork Carnita recipe that was made using the pressure cooker feature too. But, this is my tried and true super simple air fryer method that has now become my number one method of making pulled pork.
What makes this the best Air Fryer Pulled Pork Recipe?
- It's the combo of seasonings in just the right amounts which I've played around with for a long time to get it just right
- It's cooking it in the air fryer for just the perfect amount of time so that it just falls apart and melts in your mouth
- It is a "no mess" recipe and only takes minutes to put together and only seconds to clean up
- It is one of the FASTEST ways to make crispy and delicious keto pulled pork
What seasoning do you need to make this Air Fryer Pulled Pork Recipe?
The seasoning is super simple, it's more about that perfect blend in just the right amounts.
- brown sugar substitute (I used Lakanto Golden)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
Should I add the dry rub and let the pork refrigerate first?
After seasoning, I recommend you wrap the pork in plastic wrap or place it in an air-tight container and chill it in the refrigerator overnight.
This step is optional and the pork is great either way even if you don't have time for that.
When you get ready to cook the pork, I suggest you remove the pork from the fridge for 30-60 minutes before placing it in the Air Fryer to allow it to come to room temperature.
What is a quick way to actually "pull" the pork?
If you don't want to wait until the pork has cooled and can be pulled, there is a "cheater" way of breaking down the pork.
Using a food processor! That's right...simply cut the pork into smaller chunks, place it in the food processor and pulse the pork a couple of times. This is actually the way Mr. Grumbles prefers his pork sandwiches.
Just be careful not to pulse too many times as the food processor can make it into a pile of mushy pork in a matter of seconds!
Below is a picture of the pulled pork that I processed.
WHAT IS THE BEST CUT OF PORK FOR PULLED PORK?
You will want a good-sized, 3-4 pound cut of pork for this recipe. However, since you are going to have to trim some of the fat off the pork, you can aim for a larger piece and just weigh it after you have trimmed it. If you end up with too much pork, simply place the remaining pork in the freezer to cook at a later time.
With that being said, you also want to make sure that whatever size of pork you use, can fit into your air fryer basket.
I almost always use a pork shoulder and that's what I'd recommend you use too.
What is the difference between a Pork Butt and a Pork Shoulder?
Here is a comparison chart that I found on Cook's Illustrated (yes..I know...I am obsessed with Cook's Illustrated!)
|PORK BUTT||PORK SHOULDER|
|Also known as "Boston butt"||Also known as "picnic shoulder" or "picnic roast"|
|Well-marbled with intramuscular fat||Typically has less intramuscular fat and marbling|
|Often sold with fat cap intact||Frequently sold with skin on|
|Rectangular, uniform shape||Tapered, triangular shape|
|Sold as bone-in and boneless||If boneless, typically sold in netting; when netting is removed, meat "unfolds" into an uneven layer|
What can you serve this alongside or what are some good ways to use up any leftovers?
We always serve this on my Whole30 Loaded Mustard Vinaigrette Coleslawbut if you have family members who want a sandwich, you can serve this on my Bread Recipe which is low carb, gluten-free and Whole30 approved!
You can also use the leftovers to make nachos using my Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips (Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Low Carb) with cheese and whatever toppings you love.
It's also great stuffed into baked potatoes or served on top of my Keto Warm Asparagus Bacon Salad or my Keto Maple Bacon Broccoli Salad for an easy low carb and healthy meal
Tips and Tricks for the Best Air Fryer Pulled Pork:
- You don't have to chill the roast at all after seasoning if you need to get it cooking right away. However, for the best flavour, it's nice to let it refrigerate and marinate in the spice blend for 2-12 hours.
- Make sure you use all the seasoning blend!
- Smoked paprika is definitely worth making sure that you use it...It lends a nice smoky flavour without actually smoking it.
- The general rule of thumb is that for every 1 lb of pork butt, you will need about 15 minutes of air fryer time
- Test the meat after and make sure that the internal temperature has reached 180-190 so that you will be able to actually "pull" the meat. However, just so you know, the meat is actually fully cooked at 145 degrees and safe to eat.
- Let the pork rest about 15-30 minutes before trying to "pull" the meat
- If you are impatient like me, you can also put chunks of pork in the food processor and pulse it a couple of times to break down the pork.
- IF you have a Ninja Foodi or other all-in-one air fryer, you can always remove the basket and place the pork directly in the sauce that is left in the bottom - let it sit until you are ready to pull it.
If you like this Air Fryer Pulled Pork recipe, you may also enjoy:
Easy Keto Ham in an Air Fryer with a Brown "Sugar" Glaze
Air Fryer Keto Roasted Brussels Sprouts and OnionsPrint
How to make Pulled Pork in an Air Fryer
Craving for yummy pulled pork but don't have the time? Today I am going to show you how to make the BEST Keto Air Fryer Pulled Pork. Now you can perfectly low carb pulled pork for a fraction of the time by simply using your air fryer! Juicy, tender, easy and super easy to clean up, this perfectly cooked pulled pork is soon to become your "go-to" pulled pork recipe
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- 3-4 lbs boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar Substitute (I used Lakanto Golden)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Take your pork shoulder and divide into 3 somewhat even sections. With avocado or olive oil spray, spray the air fryer basket well and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the spices and brown sugar substitute together. Rub the spice mixture over the pork shoulder, patting it into the skin. Place the pork shoulder into the air fryer basket.
- Adjust the temperature to 375°F. Take the weight of your pork but in pounds and multiply that by 15. So, for a 3 lb pork butt, you would set the timer for 45 minutes.
- Once the time is up, check the temperature of the thickest part of the pork. If the temperature is not about 180 degrees. F, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and continue to check the pork until it hits 180 degrees. F.
- Allow the pork butt to cool in the basket in the air fryer for 15-30 minutes. Pull or slice the pork and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American, Spring, Summer
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: air fryer, easy keto weeknight dinner, dinner ideas, quick and easy, pork, BBQ
Leave a Reply